Hydrocodone vs. oxycodone

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
SleepyCharlie

Hydrocodone vs. oxycodone

Post by SleepyCharlie »

I have been taking 15 mg Vicodin daily at 8 pm for 9 years along with .25 of Mirapex to control retractable RLS. I wonder if it would be better to switch to oxycodone to avoid all of the acetominaphin in the Vicodin. Any advice? Or is a different opiate a better choice?

Rustsmith

Re: Hydrocodone vs. oxycodone

Post by Rustsmith »

Yes, it would be better to avoid all that acetaminophen, which can be very hard on your liver. As for a different opioid, if the oxycodone in the Vicodin has been working, why switch? Methadone has a longer half life so that you don't have to take it as often, but it can generate some unpleasant stares at the pharmacy. The opioids tend to work equally on RLS, but each comes with a different set of potential side effects.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

curqlink

Post by curqlink »

Why not just switch to Norco? It has less acetaminophen than Vicodin.

srgraves01

Post by srgraves01 »

SleepyCharlie wrote:I have been taking 15 mg Vicodin daily at 8 pm for 9 years along with .25 of Mirapex to control retractable RLS. I wonder if it would be better to switch to oxycodone to avoid all of the acetominaphin in the Vicodin. Any advice? Or is a different opiate a better choice?

Acetaminophen when taken long term can also cause kidney damage. The problem with kidney damage is that the tests may not show that it is bad until it is really bad.

QyX

Post by QyX »

Yes, it would be best to avoid all Acetaminophen.

If you switch to Oxycodone, most likely you would require dose of approx. 10 mg of Oxycodone, maybe even less, which would be a fairly low dose.

When you have a doctor who is willing to prescribe Oxycodone, I would go for this option.

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

I'm on oxycodone. Working very well. I take 5-10 mg.

badnights

Post by badnights »

have been taking 15 mg Vicodin daily at 8 pm for 9 years along with .25 of Mirapex to control retractable RLS. I wonder if it would be better to switch to oxycodone to avoid all of the acetominaphin in the Vicodin
absolutely get something without acetominophen in it, as the others have said.
Have you been on pramipexole for 9 years as well? Did the dose go up in that time at all? If your dose has gone up and you think you're augmented, then you might want to consider the possibility that if you quit the DA, you might need even less opioid once the withdrawal was over? I'm not sure if it's worth messing with it, that would depend on your situation.

I use hydromorphone; not many doctors prescribe it, for some reason they all prefer oxycodone, but there seems to be no good reason for such a strong preference other than marketing. Either one would get rid of the acetominophen problem for you.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.