Doctors in Seattle?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
annski

Doctors in Seattle?

Post by annski »

Hello,

I flew to see Dr B at Stanford. I am currently on an opioid. Why are doctors so afraid to perscribe an opioid when it is necessary?
They are doing nothing wrong! I am unable to find a Dr in the Seattle area to take over from Dr B and must keep up the expense of flying to California to see him. Any suggestions?

stjohnh

Re: Doctors in Seattle?

Post by stjohnh »

Hi annski, Welcome to the RLS online community. Lots of great folks here to help out.

I'm no where near Seattle, so I can't give you a doc's name. The DEA tracks a doctor's narcotic prescriptions and puts pressure in a number of ways on the doc or the doc's employer if the number of narcotic RXs gets too high. The doc is worried about losing his/her license, so while the doc wants to help the patients, preserving the medical license trumps patient care if there is a conflict. This whole opioid fiasco is the fault of the pharmaceutical companies. Follow the money.
Blessings,
Holland

ViewsAskew

Re: Doctors in Seattle?

Post by ViewsAskew »

annski wrote:Hello,

I flew to see Dr B at Stanford. I am currently on an opioid. Why are doctors so afraid to perscribe an opioid when it is necessary?
They are doing nothing wrong! I am unable to find a Dr in the Seattle area to take over from Dr B and must keep up the expense of flying to California to see him. Any suggestions?
I hope you find someone. I used to live in Chicago. I flew to see Dr. B, too, and tried to convert a local doc to help me. I tried many times; three agreed (at different times). The first stopped prescribing it when the state laws changed (he was in Indiana on the border of Illinois). Another, even though working with Dr. B, freaked out over it and simply stopped providing scripts, leaving me without ANY medications on a Friday. I had already learned to keep a small stash, but it was wiped out in the two weeks I had to wait to get an appt in CA and to fly to see Dr B. The third one worked well until the one doc went on a leave of absence when she adopted a child. The doc who took over was never really on board and at each appt (she made me see her EVERY month) chipped away until she finally said I had to start all over - new sleep study, stop the methadone and try the other drugs all over again, etc.

I finally literally decided to move to So Cal. It was easier. And that is sheer craziness when you think of it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.