Rotating Meds

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Polar Bear

Re: Rotating Meds

Post by Polar Bear »

Deb - I always try to have a stash. At present my codeine stash is depleted. My GP has agreed to provide extra but I'll be happier when I get my prescription next week as it's not clear just how much xtra she will give me each month. She has confirmed I can take up to x but has also said that she does not expect me to take x on a regular basis. Over the past few weeks whilst waiting to sort with her that she would provide extra I have been using my stash, and it has just about disappeared. (I do have Tramadol ER as a stash but officially no longer take these).

Ann - We are always punished for the actions of the irresponsible behaviour of abusers. In so many walks of life. Never fair.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:
Ann - We are always punished for the actions of the irresponsible behaviour of abusers. In so many walks of life. Never fair.
Indeed.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I cannot admit to my doctor that I have a stash. Once I did, and I got a lecture and concern and contemplation of reducing my dose - that was a learning experience which I have never repeated.

My stash has been chipped away at for a while now, because for the last couple of years I've been taking exactly my prescription - I have not had any extra to add to the stash. My last batch was actually ONE PILL SHORT when I picked it. I take 3 a day and I'm on the edge with that, so I will undoubtedly have to dig into my stash. And I'm hesitant to complain - who are they going to believe?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

badnights wrote:I cannot admit to my doctor that I have a stash. Once I did, and I got a lecture and concern and contemplation of reducing my dose - that was a learning experience which I have never repeated.

My stash has been chipped away at for a while now, because for the last couple of years I've been taking exactly my prescription - I have not had any extra to add to the stash. My last batch was actually ONE PILL SHORT when I picked it. I take 3 a day and I'm on the edge with that, so I will undoubtedly have to dig into my stash. And I'm hesitant to complain - who are they going to believe?
I have been told we should count them AT the pharmacy...which I never do.

Beth, that is one of the best reasons I have for seeing Dr. B. He knows I change my dose. He knows I reduce it with the pramipexole, then increase it when I stop. He allows ME to say how much I want each month, as long as I don't go over our agreed limit. I call the office and say, I need X this month, they call it in. I often go longer than 30 days, I often take less - so he trusts me. Makes it SO much easier. Without him? All I can say is he just better not retire.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

That's how my Doctor is with me. She trusts me.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

My doctor in Denver knows that I use mail order, that I live 100 miles away and she doesn't have the time available to see me every month. So, she writes my prescriptions so that I get 3 months worth of pills instead of the normal 30 day limit. She can get away with this due to the low dose. That also means that I have a bit more flexibility in when my prescriptions get refilled. The pharmacy doesn't care because it is over 30 days, so if it is 80, I can build up a few pills each quarter.
Steve

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Just like badnights, my now non existent stash had been chipped away and the lack of the security of a stash does leave its mark.

As my GP of many years has moved on and I am literally at the beginning of a new GP relationship I find myself (at least in my own head) having to 'make my case' or perhaps it's more of 'proving she can trust me'. She does appear to be sympathetic, is trying to work with me, and is understanding that the daily allowance of codeine is used to my own regime and not quite as prescribed.

Because I'm on a Ropinerole reduction I am at present using all of my daily prescribed allowance plus. This week I am due a prescription following a mid May GP appointment to discuss increase of Codeine but I'm not clear how many she has approved. Her notes on file (as per Secretary) allow a max of 4 x 15mg x 4 daily..... but she does not expect me to take this always and has not stated a monthly allowance. I said to Secretary that perhaps I should have a doctor telephone appointment to clarify the monthly allowance and Secretary replied it wasn't needed and that when ordering this prescription just to request extra as per our GP appointment. Hmmm... I like to know where I am.

I am down to my last few Codeine pills which will take me exactly to the pick up of my prescription as per prescribed dose. Being that close to the edge is not a comfortable feeling. Ther are none extra. I do have a small Tramadol stash but prefer not to take these regularly and not as part of treatment. The Tramadol are the 'back up emergency stash 2' for when the 'emergency stash 1' has depleted.

I have never ever admitted to having a stash.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Again, paying the price for the few that abuse the system. Makes me crazy and so mad/sad that so many people have to go through this. Betty, hope you get it worked out.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Yes, Betty I hope it works out too.
The main reason I have a months worth of extra is because I weaned down on the methadone while taking other stuff, gabapentin and mirapex. Plus similar to Steve, she gives me 3 hard copies of a 3 months supply. During those 3 months I took less. At the next appt. (3months). I had her write for less. The The next time I went back up. So I have a lot more extra than I ever had before. Usually she would only give me 4 extra pills in a 3 month period.
Now I have stopped the gabapentin and increased methadone.
Original does was 10 mg in 24 hrs
Went down to 5 mg
Now I'm at 15 mg
I'm finally sleeping. Plus I have lost weight. She knows that the gabapentin and mirapex put weight on me.
I had increased the gabapentin because of my back fusion.
It's all craziness. I'm always changing them around. I really wanted to get rid of the methadone altogether, but I guess the other ones are worse. I worry about being able to get it.