Yoga Helping me so far

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
johnmarg

Yoga Helping me so far

Post by johnmarg »

I saw a study in the newest issue of Nighwalkers that Yoga helped participants RLS. I have tried it for 8 nights so far and it has improved my symptoms quite a bit. i have lessened my Gabapenten from 600 to 300MG and for 6 nights I had no RLS and on 2 nights I had 1 and 2 times. I used to get 2 to 4 times per night.

Just putting it out there. I do about 30 min of RLS yoga per night about 4:30PM

ViewsAskew

Re: Yoga Helping me so far

Post by ViewsAskew »

That is great! There aren't a lot of studies, but for mild to moderate RLS, seems I recall that the ones they have done show gentle and mild exercise often helps.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Sometimes if my calves are really killing me in the night I will do a downward dog for 10 breaths and then a hover for 10 breaths. (They kill me several times every night but sometimes I'm too lazy for this.) That helps but I still need to stay up for about an hour.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yankiwi wrote:Sometimes if my calves are really killing me in the night I will do a downward dog for 10 breaths and then a hover for 10 breaths. (They kill me several times every night but sometimes I'm too lazy for this.) That helps but I still need to stay up for about an hour.
I was chuckling thinking of downward dog in the middle of the night when taking meds, lol. I do pigeon pose and have fallen asleep, but that is just slumping over. Imagine falling to sleep in DD!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Huh! Nice ! Can you do forward bends? I find that forward bends set it off, but standing poses are good.

Also anything that silences our sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight) and activates the parasympathetic (wine and dine, or relax on the beach, or whatever) is helpful. Yoga is particularly good at this if done in a meditative calm manner.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

As some of you here know, I moved to So Cal specifically to have access to Dr. Buchfuhrer. We started with a friend who lived in San Pedro, then tried Torrance for a few months, and settled on a year in DTLA - hubby loves the energy of the city and we both enjoy art galleries, museums, etc. But, a year of the noise (poor choice of the condo we rented as is faces two extremely busy wide streets) and we are both very ready to be elsewhere.

And, why am I writing this in the yoga post? Because we are moving to Long Beach, CA, and there are yoga classes daily in Bluff Park, overlooking the ocean, from 11 and noon, and 5 days a week from 6 to 7 PM. Our condo? Facing a quiet street and 3 blocks from Bluff Park!

I am not sure which classes I will try to get to, but I am looking forward to having yoga classes so close to me and as such a great price (free to all, donation requested if can afford it). I love the class I attend now, but Brenda only teaches one night a week.

Beth, interesting about the forward bends. I am always medicated when I go...but have not noticed any issue with a forward bend. Looking forward to other people's responses.

Managing Your RLS

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

For me anything stretching the hamstrings seems to have an immediate negative impact but over a longer period (the ensuing 60 minutes or so) it seems to be beneficial. Side bends are definitely soothing to my rls.