New Drugs In Development

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Oozz

New Drugs In Development

Post by Oozz »

Hello -

In the most recent California RLS support group, the following information was discussed:

“At 2:40 PM, Dr. Mark Buchfuhrer, the group’s medical advisor, shared information regarding a new drug protocol for treating RLS, as well as two new nonpharmaceutical devices that are currently in clinical trials. According to the doctor, all new approaches are in the early phases of usage and study.”

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the new drug protocol or the devices that were discussed.

badnights

Re: New Drugs In Development

Post by badnights »

They say a new drug protocol... could be an existing drug or multiple drugs being used in a new way.
Don't know what any of those new things might be, though. I 'd like to know as well.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

stjohnh

Re: New Drugs In Development

Post by stjohnh »

I don't know, but there are good indications that there is a real trial of dipyridamole (an adenosine booster) going on in Europe. While that is not a new drug, if the outcome of the trial is positive, dipyridamole may be added to existing protocols. This may be "better" than a completely new drug, as it takes many years from development to FDA approval. Since dipyridamole is already on the market, it is just a matter of getting the study done and publishing the results. Both Rachel (legsbestill) and I have used dipyridamole with good results.

There is also some evidence that an RLS indication for Injectafer (IV iron preparation) has been submitted to the FDA. If that is added to the FDA approved indications, it should make much easier RLS patients to get IV iron infusions. Currently FDA has approved Injectafer ONLY for iron deficiency anemia, complicating acceptance by doctors who may be considering using it for RLS.

These are the two that have a real chance to improve the lives of RLS patients in 5 years or less.
Blessings,
Holland