Propofol

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
mudslide

Propofol

Postby mudslide » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:48 pm

At a recent colonoscopy, I was given propofol as the anesthetic. When I awoke, I had pronounced RLS symptoms. Several threads from years ago on this forum mention propofol; the consensus seemed to be that propofol does NOT cause RLS. This was Dr. Buchfuhrer's opinion, and I respect his expertise. However, I strongly suspect the propofol affected me and am going to request that my medical records list it as an allergy. Just FYI for y'all. Thanks to the moderators for your continued invaluable contributions.

ViewsAskew

Re: Propofol

Postby ViewsAskew » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:15 am

Hi mudslide - did they administer an antihistamine at the same time?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Frunobulax

Postby Frunobulax » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:14 pm

I insisted on using an alternative to propofol when I had some operations recently, even though the RLS group over here has written an anesthetics guide that allows propofol. Apparently there are other, benzo based anesthetics that are just as safe and efficient. Why take a risk?

I did however experience RLS symptoms with an IV after the operation to relieve pain. Unfortunately I didn't remember what it was.

QyX

Postby QyX » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:01 am

With the way Propofol works, I would agree that it is unlikely that it will cause / trigger RLS symptoms.

Have there been any other drugs involved in the procedure?

The pronounced symptoms could have been a random spike in symptoms or simply happened because you did not move because you were sedated. There is also no guarantee that other anesthetics will work better and they all have their own complicated potential side effects.

At least with Propofol you know it is working and safe to use.

And just because you had pronounced symptoms after the procedure doesn't mean the Propofol is the cause. Just something to keep in mind.

Return to “Prescription Medications”