Costco refusing to fill rx

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
leggo_my_legs

Costco refusing to fill rx

Post by leggo_my_legs »

Costco is refusing to fill my controlled rx at the next refill unless the MD changes the diagnostic code from RLS to...something else.

I've been filling same rx at costco for almost 2 years I think. The pharmacist really bit my head off and said, "This is being used for RLS, which is UNHEARD OF!!! Have him change the diagnosis to something the DEA likes."

To flex their muscles, they put a "hold" on the rx and it took like 15 minutes for them to figure out how to get the computer to release it to me. Next time they said no more.

I wrote to the MD and he said he'd call them but they haven't been in touch yet. I am very frustrated and scared of not being able to access my medication.

Any suggestions?

stjohnh

Re: Costco refusing to fill rx

Post by stjohnh »

Sounds like what you are doing is reasonable. If no luck, change pharmacies.
Blessings,
Holland

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I had a pharmacist tell me the same thing a few years ago. Needless to say, I don't use that pharmacy anymore.

It probably won't help, but you might try showing the pharmacist the following paper from the Mayo Clinic. I tried this with one doctor and it didn't help. I changed doctors and the second (and current) one thanked me. https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... X/fulltext
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

About ten years ago I had to take published research to the pharmacist to prove that it WAS used to treat RLS. It worked.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

QyX

Post by QyX »

These problems are unheard of in Germany. If there is no obvious reason to be suspicious of the prescription, the pharmacy is ordered by law to fill the prescription. And the diagnosis is of no concern for the pharmacy. This is the job of the physician. I am not aware of even one story or report where a germany pharmacy refused to fill a legit opioid prescription.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I have never heard of the like of this in the UK.
I've been using an Opioid for 15 years and it has never been questioned by a Pharmacist.
Here in the UK our prescriptions do not state what condition the medication is being prescribed for.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

This is a HUGE issue in the US because SO many people are dying from opioid addiction/suicide/overdose. The physicians are terrified to prescribe, the pharmacists are balking.

Here in the US, pharmacists can refuse, for example, to give a women birth control pills. Infuriates me.

Managing Your RLS

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

Well I've thought that I would benefit from a move to Germany for some time now. However that's not in the cards. :(

Thanks all for your support. MD did speak to them and set them straight. But I'll see if I can actually pick it up next month.

I think that most of the people dying are not getting the drugs from MDs but street laced heroin or fentanyl. A sad situation for all involved, including legit patients who can't get the rxs.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

leggo_my_legs wrote:Well I've thought that I would benefit from a move to Germany for some time now. However that's not in the cards. :(

Thanks all for your support. MD did speak to them and set them straight. But I'll see if I can actually pick it up next month.

I think that most of the people dying are not getting the drugs from MDs but street laced heroin or fentanyl. A sad situation for all involved, including legit patients who can't get the rxs.
Yep. Seems that in times where fearfulness of things we become much less humane as a species, doesn't it?

Managing Your RLS

leggo_my_legs

Post by leggo_my_legs »

ViewsAskew wrote: Yep. Seems that in times where fearfulness of things we become much less humane as a species, doesn't it?
Good point.