Question (Pramipexole/Mirapex)

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
leo_sch

Question (Pramipexole/Mirapex)

Post by leo_sch »

Hi everyone,

A question for the more knowledgeable members of this great forum: Pramipexole has a relatively short half-life (8-12 hours). If the tablets are immediate release, then is there any systematic dopamine build-up while taking the drug regularly (like with antidepressants, etc.)? Or does the drug fade out every time (after 8-12 hours) given that the dose is so small (0.125 mg or 0.25 mg or even 0.35 mg)?

Regards,
Leo

stjohnh

Re: Question (Pramipexole/Mirapex)

Post by stjohnh »

Leo, good question.

The half-life of a drug is the time it takes for the concentration in the blood to decrease by 50%. It is NOT 1/2 of the time that the drug has an effect. Dopamine agonists like pramipexole, stimulate the dopamine receptors, and they become less responsive over time, and indeed in some cases (perhaps most) can damage the receptors, sometimes permanently. The receptors stay in an overstimulated state for a prolonged period.

So the answer to your question about does the drug "fade out" depends on exactly what you mean. If you mean gets out of your blood, then the answer is yes. If you mean has no effects (good or bad), then the answer is "sort-of" but not in a way generally related to the drug's half life.

There is not a measurable increase in dopamine by taking pramipexole, but there is and increase in dopamine effects. Remember that the dopamine agonists are "agonists," that means that they act like dopamine in the body, but don't increase the actual dopamine levels.
Blessings,
Holland

leo_sch

Post by leo_sch »

Thank you, Holland.

It's unfortunate that drugs like Pramipexole are not safer for taking for longer periods as they really help with the RLS. As you know, I'm on 0.125 mg and I can tell you that right now I am totally RLS-free, so to speak. Too bad that this will not last forever.

Regards,
Leo

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

leo_sch wrote:Thank you, Holland.

It's unfortunate that drugs like Pramipexole are not safer for taking for longer periods as they really help with the RLS. As you know, I'm on 0.125 mg and I can tell you that right now I am totally RLS-free, so to speak. Too bad that this will not last forever.

Regards,
Leo
I agree, Leo. I have used almost every possible option for control....and nothing is as beautiful for stopping the entire RLS package. And, since I waited years after augmenting before starting it again and have been oh-so careful not to take it too long at one time, I can STILL use a relatively low dose and get complete control. Of course, for me there are something like 16 side effects including a couple that rob significantly from my life and I truly am embittered about that, but that is a different issue, lol.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

QyX

Post by QyX »

leo_sch wrote:Thank you, Holland.

Regards,
Leo
All I ever got out of Pramipexole was 6 weeks ... then they stopped working for me, forever.

Now only high potent opioids (Morphine, Oxycodone, Hydromorphon in my case) and Cannabis helps.

There are options and alternatives when DAs stop working. Might be a good idea to already plan for the day when they stop working.