Details of IV Iron treatment?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
meiatflask

Details of IV Iron treatment?

Post by meiatflask »

I keep reading about I V iron. Can someone tell me details of how this is done? Is it a shot or a drip bag? Done at any doctors office? Or have to go to a lab or hospital? How long does it take? Any preparation- fasting, morning/afternoon preference? Any side effects?

I am pretty needle-phobic, so Before I ask my doctor, I want to know some details.

Thanks,

Bill

stjohnh

Re: Details of IV Iron treatment?

Post by stjohnh »

Hi Bill,

The recommended IV Iron is Injectafer, but other IV Iron preparations have been used as well. The recommended Injectafer is given as 2 injections, one week apart. It is almost always given as 2 separate IV piggyback drip bag infusions, one week apart, usually in an "infusion center" where the most common treatments are IV infusions for cancer treatment. It can be given as two IV direct injections (10 min each) in any doctor's office, which would be much cheaper and faster, but in the "real world USA" I have not heard of it given this way. Mostly it is given by order of a hematologist (though there is no legal requirement for this, any US MD can give it in the office or order it given). Side effects are minimal to none. I think fasting is recommended but not required. Start to finish for me was about 90 min in the infusion center (15 min to start and bandage IV, 45 min for infusion, 30 min monitoring after infusion). Really, one day of even mild RLS is a worse experience than getting the infusion.

A more severe problem for most is finding a doctor that will prescribe the IV Iron. An additional problem is that many times insurance will not pay, and cost can be up to several thousand dollars. Mine was $2250 per set, 4500 total. I was lucky, my insurance covered it. I had to pay $137 each.
Blessings,
Holland