side effects of iv iron

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
fuz_mind

side effects of iv iron

Post by fuz_mind »

hi all

wanted to check in if anyone has had any temp side effects from IV iron? i have had 3 infusions since 2016 but noticed some similar side effects on my 2nd and 3rd one. wasn't sure if that's just a coincidence or?

thanks for sharing any experience!

ViewsAskew

Re: side effects of iv iron

Post by ViewsAskew »

Immediately (during?) or over time?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

fuz_mind

Post by fuz_mind »

ViewsAskew wrote:Immediately (during?) or over time?
post. my sleep and energy level improvement starts kicking in ard 4-5 weeks; but i also start to experience for about 2 weeks or so of excessive internal agitation/energy that i need to get rid of ard week 6-8 post iv (but ends up in me losing my temper mainly :oops: )

just wondering if that is just me.....

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

I just posted my IV iron injection additional effects in the Injectafer thread. Click here if you want to see them.
http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1 ... 59#p100359
Blessings,
Holland

badnights

Post by badnights »

I've only had one infusion so far and have not noticed any effects other than improvement in symptoms and attendant reduction in meds, better sleep, and more alert during the day. I thought my depression was lifting, too, but I think that's a side effect of sleeping better. It's come back twice for short visits, at least once (today) because I've been working too-long hours and didn't sleep enuf last night.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Pianomom3355

Post by Pianomom3355 »

Where can you get iron infusions?

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Mostly people get IV Iron by educating their GP or Neurologist (usually by you informing the doc that IV Iron is now considered a first priority treatment for RLS and giving the doc a copy of the guidelines). Once the GP/Neuro is considering IV Iron reasonable, he or she refers you to a hematologist, who then must be persuaded that IV Iron is indicated. The hematologist orders the IV Iron to be given, most commonly at an IV Infusion center (where IV antibiotics and cancer drugs are the most commonly administered IV medications). Unfortunately this complex routine can be stopped by the docs at multiple stages. This is the way it is usually given in USA. If a GP was willing, any GP in USA can give it in the regular office exam room if the doc was willing. Most aren't.

There are two ways to make it simpler. 1) Get treated at an RLS Quality Care Center. 2) Find another patient who has had IV Iron for RLS and go to that doc.
Blessings,
Holland