Pramipexole and the heart

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Pianomom3355

Pramipexole and the heart

Post by Pianomom3355 »

Hi all,
Has anyone else here been on pramipexole for many years and developed heart trouble? I recently found out I have an abnormality
in my heart, and I cannot figure out how I got it, except for my pramipexole usage. I have stayed at 1.5 mg daily for years and one
doctor recommended I cut my dosage in half, but didn't say why. So I also wonder if I should ask my doctor (a different one) if
I should switch to Gabapentin and if that would prevent any further detriment to my heart. What is anyone's experience with
switching to Gabapentin and how hard was it?

Polar Bear

Re: Pramipexole and the heart

Post by Polar Bear »

I am unaware of any heart abnormalities as a result of pramipexo!e but others may know different.

The pramipexole dose of 1.5mg is higher than what is now recommended and this could be why your Dr wanted you to reduce. Too high a dose of pramipexole can lead to augmentation.

Gabapentin is unlikely on its own to cope with a switch from pramipexole but you could try it. You would have to titrate upwards to see if you reach a dose that would work. If it doesn't work then It might work in support of a low dose of pramipexole.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Pianomom3355

Re: Pramipexole and the heart

Post by Pianomom3355 »

Thanks for your response, Polar Bear. The first doctor (who wanted to cut my dose) had mentioned combining the two meds, so that
may be workable. I will check when I see my new doctor.....the other one took a new position, so he is not here.