Gabapentin not working so good

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Brynmr

Clonazepam

Post by Brynmr »

I saw my GP today. My gabapentin dosage is up to 2700-3000 mg. He's prescribed clonazepam 0.5 mg for the anxiety aspect of my symptoms I'm experiencing though I have some doubts we're talking about the same kind of anxiety (maybe yes maybe no). Anyone use this drug for your RLS? Doc says his other RLS patients have been treated with this drug. If this doesn't help, he's passing me on to a neurologist.

Rustsmith

Re: Gabapentin not working so good

Post by Rustsmith »

I have used it and it was very effective as a sedative for me. I was also experiencing some anxiety at the time, but I felt that CBD did a better job on my anxiety than the clonazepam. Unfortunately, I had to stop taking it because it is a central nervous system depressant, which can reduce your breathing while asleep. I am also taking methadone, another central nervous system depressant, and my doctor was concerned about the combination of these two meds. Given a choice, the methadone was more important for handling my RLS.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Brynmr

Post by Brynmr »

Still experimenting as to when to take the clonazepam. The drug makes me feel like I weight 300 lbs. (I weight 168). Not unpleasant and seems to help. We'll see.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Be wary of clonazepam. If you find you need a dose increase, it might be best to change medications instead. Clonazepam can build dependence quickly and be very hard to stop. Also, there are more effective ways to treat WED/RLS. For those reasons, clonazepam, which was used a lot back in the day, is not used very often anymore to treat WED/RLS.

did you get iron bloodwork done, did it include a ferritin measure, what were the results if so?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Brynmr

Post by Brynmr »

No iron work done yet. I may have to wait til I see the neurologist. 0.5 mg tonight - yesterday 0.25 - same results meaning not a lot of help. I'm not impressed with these results.

badnights

Post by badnights »

0.5 mg tonight - yesterday 0.25 - same results meaning not a lot of help. I'm not impressed with these results.
Then don't take it. If it's not helping, there's no reason to take it and some good reasons to not take it.

Usually GPs order iron work. It would in fact be good to have the results in hand when you see the neurologist. Ask your GP if you can do that, because you've heard that iron is very important in RLS/WED. Tell him that a ferritin concentration is needed too, because WED/RLS is a brain iron deficiency. Even if the numbers for your blood look good, you could still have a deficiency in your brain, which often shows up as low ferritin levels. Tell him you read all this stuff and you'd like to find out if taking iron might help you.

I hope he sends you to a movement disorders neurologist - preferably one with experience treating refractory WED/RLS.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Brynmr

Post by Brynmr »

Dropped to .25 mg cause the .50 mg made me feel like lead and no real improvement in my symptoms. So this drug gets trashed. Screw it.

Brynmr

Post by Brynmr »

badnights wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:35 am
I hope he sends you to a movement disorders neurologist - preferably one with experience treating refractory WED/RLS.

I'm going to request that on Monday. In the mean time what about iron supplements/tablets. Do they do anything? I've got a bottle of 65mg.

badnights

Post by badnights »

If you're not in danger of iron overload (usually a problem that's genetic), then iron is a good option for many (most?) WED/RLS people. The problem is low brain iron, and what we take into our mouths often doesn't get absorbed into our blood, and even when it does, the big problem is that it doesn't cross over into the brain, but still, it helps a lot of us. Especially if your ferritin is under 100. I take three of those 65 mg Fe pills a day. (nightly).

Brynmr

Post by Brynmr »

I'm pretty stable on 65mg of iron and 3000 mg Gabapentin for the moment but that won't last. Next stop a neurologist.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Iron is absorbed best if you take vitamin C at the same time. 250 or 500 mg. Or just drink a glass of orange juice.
Also is absorbed better on an empty stomach, but if that hurts your guts, eat a little something with it.

Brynmr

Post by Brynmr »

Good to know OJ with iron. I've been on oxycodone for the past week due to an operation so that's really improved things. Too bad this can't last. LOL

badnights

Post by badnights »

Brynmr wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:32 am
Good to know OJ with iron. I've been on oxycodone for the past week due to an operation so that's really improved things. Too bad this can't last. LOL
Oh yes, the joy of symptom relief! It kind of pisses me off (excuse the language) that you can't have that relief full-time. But enjoy it while you have it! And there's a good chance that raising your iron stores will improve your symptoms too. Just takes longer :P