side effects of longterm use (20 years) of Pramipexole

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
SleepyCharlie

side effects of longterm use (20 years) of Pramipexole

Post by SleepyCharlie »

I have taken Mirapex for the past 20 years, 10 years gradually increasing the dose, then cutting it down to .25 mg once daily plus Vicodin (10-15 mg daily). Twice this last month I have experienced attacks in the night upon rising quickly to go to the bathroom. I feel very lightheaded, legs are very heavy, much shakiing. This lasted for about 30 minutes and finally subsided. I see in the literature that one side effect of Mirapex is dizziness upon getting up suddenly. Talking to doctor today. How can I treat it during the night? Terrifying experience. RLS is under control havent changed dose for about 8 years.

Sleepy Charlie

Rustsmith

Re: side effects of longterm use (20 years) of Pramipexole

Post by Rustsmith »

Sleepy Charlie, I have had low blood pressure all my life and so have had to be careful when getting up at night or during the day. The trick is to do it slowly. First sit on the edge of the bed for about 30 seconds and allow your body to adjust to the change in position. Once you feel stable, then you can stand, but have something near to put your hand on, both for support and as a reference point. Don't try to walk until you feel stable again. If you don't do this, then you dramatically increase the chances of fainting and hurting yourself when you fall. I got a bit overconfident a few years ago and didn't take it slowly enough and ended up with a concussion from hitting my head on a granite bathroom countertop.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.