Help please re Ropinirole

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
CathyT

Help please re Ropinirole

Post by CathyT »

Hi everyone,

My old neurologist moved out of state and I went to a new one last week because my Ropinirole ER has begun to lose effectiveness. The new doctor added Gabapentin and told me to take it along with my Ropinirole. Since I was about out of my Ropinirole ER, he said he’d call in refill for that. Well, when I picked it up, it was Regular Ropinirole (the immediate release kind). I figured that would be okay but the first night I took the new Ropinirole and the Gabapentin, I was sick within 15 or 20 mins of taking it. Severe nausea to the point I couldn’t get up, dizziness, racing heart, and I became so hot I needed to ask my husband to put a cold cloth over my forehead. After about 20 mins of misery, the symptoms began to resolve and I fell asleep. We had eaten out thar night so I assumed it was bad food.

Then the following night, exact same thing happened. So I decided it must be the new Gabapentin drug. So, the next night I decided maybe I’d try spacing them out rather than taking them both at same time. I took the Ropinirole first. And to my surprise, I had the bad reaction. So, I realized at that point it was actually the Ropinirole rather than the Gabapentin. I scrounged up a couple Ropinirole ER that I had left and took one of those with the Gabapentin the next night and bam, no trouble. Slept well. RLS symptoms controlled.

I called Neurologist office yesterday and told them that I apparently react badly to Ropinirole immediate release and needed them to call in a new rx for the ER. The medical assistant advised me to not take any more the instant release and promised to call in ER. I went to pharmacy before they closed last night and they hadn’t received new rx from doctor. Ugh. I had ONE more ER tablet and took it last night with the gabapentin and again had a good night.

Called the doctors office FIVE times today and she kept telling me that the rx system must be down because she had electronically sent the rx to Walgreens twice. I told her I have no more ER left and need something to take tonight. She said unfortunately doctor won’t be in until Friday so she’s not able to send a fax but will try and send electronically again. I just got back from Walgreens. Guess what? They’ve received nothing. I literally broke out in tears in front of the girl at the prescription counter. She felt so bad but said she needs the doctors office to call and give a verbal so they can process a new rx for me. I went back and sat in my car and sobbed and once under control I called neurology office back. Message just went to voice mail. Probably already gone for the day.

I’m sorry this is so long and rambling but if anyone can understand my frustration I know y’all can. In my message to the neurology office, I told them I was up against the wall in that I don’t want to risk taking the immediate release and have those frightening symptoms again but at same time I need something. No return call.

So, after all that background, has anyone had this issue with being sick on immediate release Ropinirole before? Secondly, looks like I’m without Ropinirole tonight.....any suggestions? Is Gabapentin alone enough to effectively get me through the night? If so, how many should I take?

Thank you for any help/advice/moral support you can provide. I’m truly feeling beyond frustrated.

Cathy

Rustsmith

Re: Help please re Ropinirole

Post by Rustsmith »

First, sorry for the bad news but without any ropinerole, you will be going through withdrawal from it and that virtually guarantees that you will not get any sleep. Gabapentin simply isn't strong enough to cover the withdrawal, only an opioid can do that. I cannot suggest this to you for a multitude of reasons, but if you have any opioid left over from past surgery, that would cover your symptoms for tonight.

The only suggestion that I have for you is to intersperse soaking in a very hot bath with walking around tonight. The hot bath will calm your legs until the water cools off or you get out and dry off. I have gone through this withdrawal (pramipexole instead of ropinerole) and I found myself walking around the neighborhood from 11P until 5AM with a break around midnight to catch something to eat.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

CathyT

Post by CathyT »

Thanks Steve. I do have some oxycodone. Can I take it with the Gabapentin?

badnights

Post by badnights »

Oh you poor thing! What a horrible experience! Unfortunately, Steve's right; without the ropinirole, you will experience withdrawal - not just untreated symptoms, but worsened symptoms.

I'm not a doctor but as far as I know, you can take oxycodone with gabapentin. I have done it without ill effect (which doesn't mean it's ok for anyone else, but I give you that information anyway). The oxycodone should help a lot -

the gabapentin alone is unlikely to be enough since you've been on a dopaminergic medication, which usually causes augmentation and worsening of symptoms to the point that gabapentin can't deal wtih them. But the max recommended daily dose of gabapentin is 1800 mg.

re your sickness from the IR ropinirole, I don't know much about this, but sometimes the generic forms of medications have different ingredients than the brand names. Maybe the immmediate and ER versions can as well. I would guess your immediate release is a generic and not the same brand as your ER, and you're reacting poorly to an ingredient other than the active one.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Cathy, sorry I didn't respond last night. Your note came in just as I was starting to bed. I'm glad that Beth saw it and responded. My answer would have been exactly like Beth's. Many of us use both meds. In my case, opioids cause insomnia and I need the gabapentin to counter that effect.

Regardless, I hope you got some sleep last night and can get the communication problem between your doctor and the pharmacy straightened out.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.