Forgot about RLS while at doctor's appt--new IBS drug

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
SleepyBhamster

Forgot about RLS while at doctor's appt--new IBS drug

Post by SleepyBhamster »

Since my iron infusions have made my RLS so-so-so much better, I forgot all about making sure than any new prescriptions would not make things worse. Today my gynecologist prescribed hyoscyamine for my IBS (since it's better, she said, for the IBS with diarrhea than Bentyl). I'm supposed to take it 2-4 times per day for a month and then when my stomach settles down, just as needed.

So I was about to start tonight when I suddenly remembered about RLS and what if this is on the bad drug list? To be honest, I'm too fatigued right now to even know where to find that list. (Had 3 doctors' appts today.) Can anyone help? Anyone familiar with this medication?

BTW, I see Dr. Rye in 2 days. Got the reminder call this evening and the recording said I was not allowed to bring anyone with me. But 2.5 hours each way, there's no way I"m leaving my husband in the car! I used the patient portal to write and beg that they let me bring in him as with my fatigue and poor memory, I would hate to forget what the doctor told me.

Thanks!

Rustsmith

Re: Forgot about RLS while at doctor's appt--new IBS drug

Post by Rustsmith »

SleepyB, hyoscyamine does not fall under any of the normal drug classifications that are recognized as RLS triggers. There was a discussion of it here about 10 yrs ago. One person was convinced that it caused problems and the other reported using it for years without any added RLS issues.

That doesn't mean that you will or will not have any problems. If I was in your shoes, I would go ahead and give it a try with my fingers crossed.

As for your husband at Dr Rye's, my urologist's office has the same rule (unless there is a language or mobility issue). Their recommendation is that the second person sit in the car but that they can listen in on the appointment over the phone. But of course, that assumes that he can park in a location where he has phone service and not in an underground garage.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SleepyBhamster

Re: Forgot about RLS while at doctor's appt--new IBS drug

Post by SleepyBhamster »

Thanks so much, Steve.

Dr. Rye's nurse responded this morning and said my husband could come in with me.