Gabapentin, Lyrica and Ropinirole

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
MJDK

Gabapentin, Lyrica and Ropinirole

Post by MJDK »

I'm taking less than .5 mg of ropinirole every night. It helps with RLS but not insomnia. My neurologist wanted me to add 300 mg of gabapentin, which I did - - - it worked the first night, but the second night I had abdominal discomfort for hours. It wasn't 'pain' as much as a really sick feeling all over. I stopped the gabapentin after the second night - after a couple of months I tried again and had exactly the same results. First night was good, second night I felt sick. So, my doctor has prescribed 50 mg of lyrica. I think he intends me to continue taking the ropinirole and add the lyrica for sleep. Oh, I also take .5 mg of xanax. So, is it ok to take the ropinirole, xanax, and lyrica???

stjohnh

Re: Gabapentin, Lyrica and Ropinirole

Post by stjohnh »

Yup, it's ok, and Lyrica (along with it's relatives, gabapentin and Horizant) is one of the very few drugs that seem to help with the insomnia that is part of most RLS patient's lives. The other is THC (cannabis, medical marijuana). For most people with RLS, common sleeping meds don't help at all. The main problem is that all the meds you mentioned have dizziness and balance problems as side effects. Be certain the doses you take don't cause too much of that problem. Falls are BAD.

If you haven't checked into IV iron, this information may help. RLS is caused by BID (Brain Iron Deficiency). Many people with RLS can have their symptoms markedly reduced or even eliminated with IV Iron treatments. This is the only treatment that gets at the basis for RLS (low brain iron). It has almost no side effects. The International Restless Legs Syndrome Study Group has elevated IV Iron treatment to first line therapy. This means that IV Iron is one of the first treatments doctors should try, not one of the last (as has been done for many years). If you can get your doc to prescribe IV Iron treatment, that is the way you should go. Unfortunately this is fairly new information and most docs, even those that frequently treat RLS, are not aware of it. Note that the blood test doctors usually do to check for low iron (ferritin test) only checks for low BLOOD iron, there is no test available for checking for low BRAIN iron. Oral iron usually doesn't provide a high enough blood level increase to help, folks need IV Iron infusions. Here is a link to the guidelines:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub
Blessings,
Holland

MJDK

Post by MJDK »

Thank you! I really appreciate this discussion board and the help I have received.

vkayath

Post by vkayath »

I just want to share my experience with Ropinirole, Gabapentine, Horizant and Lyrica with you. It may help some of you.
I am 73 years of age. I was diagnosed with RLS five years ago. My primary physician prescribed Ropinirole 1 mg first an then increased it to 2 mg. It worked reasonably well until beginning of 2020. Progressively, the medication lost its effectiveness. I consulted with a neurologist who asked me to stop taking Ropinirole and prescribed Gabapentine. I tried it for 2-3 weeks; It didn't work, my RLS was severe and I had many sleepless nights. When I reported it to my neurologist, he gave me some samples of Horizant with a caution that the medication may not be covered by insurance and that it is very expensive medicine. I tried it for 2 weeks titrating the dosage slowly up with no improvement of my RLS. More sleepless nights and shaking the legs! I was very discouraged by all these medication trials. My neurologist then asked me to try Pregablin (Lyrica) 300 mg first, slowly increasing it to 1200 mg if needed. 300 and 600mg doses did not work; After I increased it to 900 mg (1 capsule at 6 pm and 2capsules at 9 pm) I am getting excellent , continuous sleep and the restlessness of the legs has gone away completely. This is my third week on Pregablin and I hope this medicine will work for me for a long time into the future. The side effects are mild constipation, lightheadedness in the mornings and slight loss of balance. I am able to handle these side effects well.

MJDK

Post by MJDK »

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm happy the pregabalin is working for you.

badnights

Post by badnights »

vkayath wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:57 pm
I just want to share my experience with Ropinirole, Gabapentine, Horizant and Lyrica with you....consulted with a neurologist who asked me to stop taking Ropinirole and prescribed Gabapentine. I tried it for 2-3 weeks;... Horizant...2 weeks ... Pregablin (Lyrica) ...After I increased it to 900 mg... I am getting excellent , continuous sleep and the restlessness of the legs has gone away completely. This is my third week on Pregablin ...
Hi vkayath
Wonderful that pregabalin is working for you!

Your lack of success with gabapentin and Horizant may have been because your body had not yet recovered from ropinirole withdrawal. Even if your WED/RLS wasn't augmented by the ropinrole, you might stikll have had withdrawal from it. Withdrawal from a dopamine agonist like ropinirole consists of worsened WED/RLS symptoms - so the gabapentin and Horizant you took at those times might not have been enough. The duration of wtihdrawal is different for different people, and can last for months. though it's usually weeks.

Those thoughts might be useful in case you ever have to stop pregabalin. The others might be worth trying again, in that case.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

bumble34

Post by bumble34 »

Unusual experience with Pregabalin last two nights, been taking a low dose .50/.75mg for six months or so occasionly supplemented with Kratom, with reasonable results and no obvious side effects, then bam, Weds & thurs Pregabalin only, RLS symptoms almost completely muted ( rare) but total insomnia `til 4am which came as a complete surprise given that the general concensus seeems to indicate Pregab helping with sleep. I shall now spend all day wondering what to take tonight

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

As well as WED/RLS 24/7 which entails continuous medication (Codeine and Pregabalin) I take the Pregabalin quite successfully also for neuropathy in my feet and lower legs. The sleep benefit of Pregabalin 200mg x 2 daily seems to have passed me by. I have never known any sleep benefit from a sleeping pill or from the Pregabalin.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

I would take the same things and hope it was just a blip .... how was last night?
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

bumble34

Post by bumble34 »

Thank you, I did and it was. just proves if proof were needed that this condition that we all suffer from has no simple treatment plan or indeed symptom path.

vkayath

Post by vkayath »

MJDK wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:25 pm
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm happy the pregabalin is working for you.
Pregablin is still working! Happy about it.

vkayath

Post by vkayath »

badnights wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:01 am
vkayath wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:57 pm
I just want to share my experience with Ropinirole, Gabapentine, Horizant and Lyrica with you....consulted with a neurologist who asked me to stop taking Ropinirole and prescribed Gabapentine. I tried it for 2-3 weeks;... Horizant...2 weeks ... Pregablin (Lyrica) ...After I increased it to 900 mg... I am getting excellent , continuous sleep and the restlessness of the legs has gone away completely. This is my third week on Pregablin ...
Hi vkayath
Wonderful that pregabalin is working for you!

Your lack of success with gabapentin and Horizant may have been because your body had not yet recovered from ropinirole withdrawal. Even if your WED/RLS wasn't augmented by the ropinrole, you might stikll have had withdrawal from it. Withdrawal from a dopamine agonist like ropinirole consists of worsened WED/RLS symptoms - so the gabapentin and Horizant you took at those times might not have been enough. The duration of wtihdrawal is different for different people, and can last for months. though it's usually weeks.

Those thoughts might be useful in case you ever have to stop pregabalin. The others might be worth trying again, in that case.
Thanks for your valuable comments. I will keep them in mind if Pregablin effectiveness diminishes.

badnights

Post by badnights »

bumble34 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:57 pm
Thank you, I did and it was. just proves if proof were needed that this condition that we all suffer from has no simple treatment plan or indeed symptom path.
yes, seems like there's always something unknown throwing a wrench in the gears, just when we think we have it under control.

badnights

Post by badnights »

vkayath wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:37 pm
Thanks for your valuable comments. I will keep them in mind if Pregablin effectiveness diminishes.
Hopefully it doesn't :)