Problems with Ropinirole

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
AutomationAir

Problems with Ropinirole

Post by AutomationAir »

I’ve been on a low dose (0.25mg) of Ropinirole for a few months, combined with Trazodone (helps me sleep but leaves me tired all day), but yesterday I finally got in to see a neurologist. I’m having my doubts about his ability to treat my RLS effectively (he said “I’m not certain that you have restless legs syndrome” ... then what else could be causing this!?) but he agreed to up my Ropinirole dose to a more effective level, and in his words, “if it works then we know you have RLS.” Putting aside my frustration with the appointment, I decided to try upping my dose, since at least he was throwing something at it.

I doubled my dose last night and didn’t take the trazodone, and it was the worst experience. My whole body felt restless, full body twitches increased, my heart felt like it was pounding, and my throat burned. I also felt pain in some of my muscles, particularly in my legs. My RLS has never quite been this bad, even when I didn’t take trazodone.

Other meds: Cymbalta 60mg & Adderall 20mg in the AM.

Has anyone had this kind of experience with Ropinirole? Is it just really bad side effects or is it possible it’s interacting with the other meds I’m taking? Or am I augmenting already? I’m just frustrated because I feel like I wasn’t taken seriously and I’m worried he might just shrug it off if I bring up my concerns. I’m thinking about seeking out a provider in the RLS Foundation’s directory but I first wanted to get some advice.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rustsmith

Re: Problems with Ropinirole

Post by Rustsmith »

This is definitely something to run past your doctor since those could have been some sort of allergic reaction.

However, Trazodon (like Cymbalta) is an anti-depressant and since you are on so many different meds, I cannot help but wonder if what you experienced was more about trazodone withdrawal than the ropinerole increase. But that is just a wild guess on my part.

As for your neurologist's comment about not having RLS, it is possible that what you are experiencing is related to the Cymbalta and Trazodone. A side effect of anti-depressants can be restlessness. But I am not your doctor and do not know enough about you to do anything more than provide you with comments for you to consider.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

AutomationAir

Re: Problems with Ropinirole

Post by AutomationAir »

I have had RLS since long before I started on any antidepressants, and from the nights I have missed taking trazodone due to running out, it has been bad but never like this. I kind of agree that it could be an allergic reaction.

I ran it past him and he still doesn’t want to do an iron infusion but he sounds willing to try me on horizant. At least it’s something.