Topical gel Diclofenac

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Eternityroad

Topical gel Diclofenac

Post by Eternityroad »

Some Background: I have been using Kratom for three years with a lot of success until lately I had begun augmenting. Dr. prescribed pramipexole but I have not begun that regimen because of doseage differences and the withdrawal experiences of others stemming from its use. I have kept up with the Kratom and once a day I have to take 3-4 teaspoons to reduce the squirms. I can live with that right now

So the other day (12/16) my doctor prescribed Diclofenac gel for my arthritic knees. I apply 2 grams of it three times a day: after breakfast, mid afternoon and after dinner. I was surprised to find no symptoms of RLS for hours after I have used the gel. In fact yesterday I forgot to take my 5pm and 7pm doses of Kratom. At 9pm I was not experiencing symptoms but I did take a half teaspoon of Kratom to keep on the safe side. 5pm to 11pm is usually when the RLS is worst. I had some problems in the middle of the night but I took an increased dose of Kratom at 3:00 am to deal with it.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this unexpected success with the gel? btw after receiving the prescription I found out that recently they started selling the gel over-the-counter, same strength as prescription. It is called Voltaren.

Polar Bear

Re: Topical gel Diclofenac

Post by Polar Bear »

I'm happy you have found something to help with your symptoms. Yes, I have used both Diclofenac gel and also over the counter gels including Voltarol which I assume is the same as your Voltaren. IIRC i think our large supermarkets have been selling their own brand gel which would cost even less tha the branded Voltarol.
The gels have been quite helpful with my hands/knees when they get sore which is not all of the time but I can't say I noticed any difference with WED/RLS symptoms. This may be because my symptoms (at least for the present) are quite well controlled and usually any breakthrough can be dealt with by a bit of walking or occasionally a dose of Kratom which I use rarely.

Can you clarify. Are you saying that Kratom is the only medication that you have been using to alleviate your symptoms and are you saying that you believe you have augmented using Kratom. If you have been using several doses of Kratom every evening/night for 3 years it is possible that you have built up a tolerance.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sadly, I am in the same camp as Betty. I have a chronic knee condition and often use the gel when I hike or walk more than usual and my knees hurt. Doesn't change anything with the WED/RLS.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

To answer Betty. I used hydrocodone for 10 years and then in 2017 discovered Kratom. Weaned myself off the lortab. Though I cant be certain I may have built up tolerance. It has only been in the past six months that I have had to vastly up the dose of Kratom. Until then then the usual doses have worked. I never started the regimen of pramepexole preferring to stay with the Kratom until it was totally ineffective.

As for the success of the cream: each of our bodies are different and respond differently to different meds. All I can say is that on the last three days I haven't had to up-dose on the Kratom and I haven't experienced any "squirms". I used some cream before bed last night and had a sound night with no pacing or up-dosing. But it has only been three days. Will have to see how this does on the stretch.

Eternityroad

Re: Topical Voltaren (Gel)

Post by Eternityroad »

This week my doc prescribed diclofenac gel for my knees (arthritis) and I was surprised to find it alleviated the RLS to a great degree. I only just found out that doclofenac is now available over-the-counter and goes by the name of Volteran.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

For a while I thought Voltaren Emugel (contains Diclofenac) helped but gradually realised it didn't or no longer did. A shame because, like most of us, I am always grasping at straws to help the blasted rls.

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

I should have stated that the relief of symptoms was coincident with applying the gel. Didn't mean to imply a causal connection. I certainly hope the gel's supposed relief of RLS symptoms is not short-lived. But this I will say, it is a great relief for my arthritis!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Eternityroad - I hope so much that the gel continues to provide sustained relief for your rls symptoms.

About the pramipexole that you haven't yet taken although you have a prescription. It would be great if you didn't have to take this medication. It is one of a family (DAs) that can eventually lead to augmentation although it can be excellent at initially providing relief. I hope that the prescription provided by your doctor is of the lowest dose possible and I think that .5mg is as high as you should go with pramipexole dosage.

Have you had your blood ferritin serum checked, not usually done automatically when having bloods done. Normal is anything over 20, but as a sufferers of wed/rls we like to aim for 100. Especially if you are going to take pramipexole. A higher ferritin helps to discourage augmentation. You should ask to have this done and ask for the result i.e. the number. Don't accept 'normal'.

Also there are other medications to try i.e. Pregabalin, Gabapentin, and you might try a low dose opioid. I see you previously used hydrocodone successfully for 10 years so you know that an opioid works for you.

Good luck.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

Betty,
Thanks for your follow-up concerns. When I started having difficulties with the Kratom I tried to get some hydrocodone from the Doc, but as I already take Zolpidem he said he couldn't prescribe two class 1 drugs. That is when he prescribed the Pramipexole and what I think he did was go in the back and consult the computer. In fact he didn't even mention the drug or that he was prescribing it. I just got an alert from the pharmacy that it was ready for pick-up. If things get unmanageable I will instruct him to take me off the Zolidem and prescribe the opioid. I only wanted the opioid to take in tandem Kratom. Next appointment I will ask about blood ferritin. Btw the script of Pram is .5 and I have had others tell me in posts that even that amount should be split by quite a bit.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I think that the dose of .5mg pramipexole is a high dose for rls and you should certainly not be starting at this dose, it should be started much lower and if necessary titrated upwards. Starting at perhaps 0.125mg.... that's if you decide to take it. You should also have your ferritin checked before starting it. It's not great to take this medication if your ferritin is low.

Zolpidem is a sleeping pill for insomnia. It never helped me with sleeping, nor did any sleeping pill. I had sleep issues for some 20+ years. It is pretty much understood that the insomnia resulting from rls is rather different from general insomnia and is not greatly responsive to a sleeping pill. Perhaps you have found differently.
(However, to clarify, I have recently been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. Since starting treatment using a Cpap machine my sleep has improved immensely and it is just possible that my 'insomnia' for those years was in fact sleep apnea.)
Betty

Eternityroad

Post by Eternityroad »

I have been splitting one tab of Zolp in half nightly for years. It helps me to fall asleep and get back to sleep if I awaken. My RLS is more a nuisance during late afternoon and early evening. Before bed I take 2-1/2 tsp of Kratom. I then take a 1/2 tsp booster around 3 am and that gets me thru the night where RLS is concerned. The Zolpidem takes care of the insomnia.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

You are indeed quite fortunate.
Zolpidem is taking care of your sleep and 2.5 teasp Kratom with a booster is taking care of your RLS symptoms.
I hope this regime lasts for a very long time.
Betty

badnights

Re: Topical Voltaren (Gel)

Post by badnights »

Eternityroad wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:56 am
This week my doc prescribed diclofenac gel for my knees (arthritis) and I was surprised to find it alleviated the RLS to a great degree. I only just found out that doclofenac is now available over-the-counter and goes by the name of Volteran.
That is a pretty cool side effect, I'd say! :)

I find that once pain of any kind starts in my legs, the WED/RLS is not far behind. When I work out too hard or put in a hard day of physical work and end up with aching, tired legs, my WED/RLS gets worse. Same when I had a chronically sprained ankle, from continuing to work on it; my WED/RLS would start up as soon as I stopped moving. (Pain anywhere in the body does it too, but not as strong as leg pain.) On the other hand, if my legs feel rested and healthy, my WED/RLS is better.

When I hear stories like yours, I wonder what the connection is between WED/RLS and inflammation. So far, there is not a lot of support for the notion that WED/RLS is an inflammatory, disease, so I assume the improvement you felt from the Voltaren (diclofenac) is because your arthritis is not paining you so much.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

badnights

Moderators note

Post by badnights »

Moved the post at viewtopic.php?p=104478#p104478 and the post by me immediately preceding this one, from the Topic " Topical Voltaren (Gel)" to this one, since the conversation is being held here.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.