Marijuana use

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Kasch2

Marijuana use

Post by Kasch2 »

I’m currently on 10mg of methadone along with 900 mg of gabapentin at night. In my state marijuana is legal, so I went and got some edibles. I only eat some when I have break thru of RLS and it knocks me out so I can sleep. My doctor is trying to get my meds sorted out, but I’m not sure if she will approve. I’m going to call her next week and I have appointment in early January. So I’m wondering how many people here use marijuana and if so, what are your results? Do you use along with other meds?

Rustsmith

Re: Marijuana use

Post by Rustsmith »

I use an opioid (either methadone or tramadol, I switch occasionally) along with 900mg gabapentin, 0.125mg pramipexole and a 5mg THC edible. In the early days I had to learn about the timing of edibles (it takes an hour or two to kick in) and that I have to occasionally take a break from the THC so that it doesn't cause suicidal level severe depression (only takes a day or two to recover if I over do it).

The real question is how your doctor will feel about it. Since THC is still illegal at a Federal level and opioids are heavily regulated by the feds, it can create a problem for some doctors. My doctor "knows" but officially doesn't ask. I am also not being asked for regular drug testing since my doctors know that I cannot afford to be without my pills (so I will not sell them on the side) and they also know that I want to keep my prescription dose low because I don't like feeling "drugged". So there is a matter of trust that you will not find with all doctors and in that respect, I am very fortunate.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Lots of folks here use marijuana (THC). BUT, most find it helps sleep, but isn't particularly helpful for urge-to-move (jumpy legs). I now get IV iron infusions which helps the urge-to-move tremendously, and insomnia somewhat. Anyway, When I was taking other meds for RLS (pramipexole and gabapentin mostly), I used edibles. I took 10mg 2 hours before bed and another 5 mg around midnight. When I moved to IV iron, my insomnia wasn't so nasty, and somewhat variable.Some nights I sleep fine with nothing, but many nights I vape now. Easier to control the dose with vaping, but it does wear off faster than edibles. The "common knowledge" of marijuana is that indica strains are better for sleep than sativa, but my experience is that the amount of THC is the crucial factor, not the strain the cannabis comes from. Also "common knowledge" is that more CBD in the strain you use makes for better sleep. I have not found this true, and indeed taking large doses of pure CBD without THC doesn't help my sleep at all. So just note the THC content of what you are using and don't pay attention to other components. Marijuana doesn't seem to cause any problems when used with other RLS meds.

There is another possibility however. Opioids have variable "alerting" side effects, sometimes very pronounced. I haven't used opioids for RLS, and only know a little about them. Hopefully one of the mods or other members with more knowledge of opioid side effects will weigh in with more advice.
Blessings,
Holland

badnights

Post by badnights »

You say you use cannabis for break-thru symptoms, that it knocks you out & helps you sleep. In my experience, it is impossible to sleep if you're feeling symptoms, so it wouldn't work as a sleeping pill if I was having break-thru, unless the break-thru symptoms were very very mild. Does cannabis actually treat your symptoms?

I use an opioid as my main WED/RLS medication (hydromorph contin). I tried cannabis to help sleep for a while recently. I was able to cut out zopiclone, but I found the cannabis unpredictable. I tried gummies (about 1/3 of a 20 mg THC gummy and 1/3 of a 10-mg CBD one) but on the nights that it didn't help me sleep, it actually caused worse WED/RLS.

So I switched to homemade edibles, made by infusing coconut oil then incorporating the oil into a treat of some kind. I also bought a vaporizer, but I have asthma and I did not at all like how it felt in my throat so I hardly ever used it. With the homemade edibles, I had less up-and-down than with the gummies, but the effect was still erratic.

I started taking melatonin and WOW. My life changed. It makes me sleepy in a very natural way. So I stopped the cannnabis , stayed off zopiclone, stopped modafinil. I still need more help with sleep, though, so I take 75 mg Lyrica/pregabalin 6 days a week, zopiclone the 7th.

Most opioids for most of us here on the board who post about it cause alertness that makes sleep very difficult. Your methadone may be causing the same problem wih you - do you feel a sudden bizarre alertness 1-2 hours after taking it, even when just before htat you were deathly tired?
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.