MCV and MCHC levels

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jacwillheal

MCV and MCHC levels

Post by jacwillheal »

Hello

Has anyone here seen a link with their MCV and MCHC levels? My MCV is high, MCHC low and my iron saturation is low. My GP has put my on B-12 supplements. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Thank you.
Living with RLS for 13 years.

ViewsAskew

Re: MCV and MCHC levels

Post by ViewsAskew »

Not me.

How long have you been using these? Are they helping?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

High MCV is commonly associated with Vit B12 deficiency and less commonly with other blood problems.The low MCHC goes along with the high MCV. MCV is Mean Corpuscular Volume. This is doctor-speak for large red blood cells. MCHC is Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin Concentration. If the red blood cells are big (High MCV) with the same total amount of hemoglobin as a normal red blood cell, then the MCHC will be automatically be low.
Blessings,
Holland

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Several years ago my GP told me to take liquid vitamin B as it absorbs better (according to him). Some brands taste awful but Better You B12 Boost oral spray is pretty good. It's a British brand.

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

stjohnh wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:48 pm
High MCV is commonly associated with Vit B12 deficiency and less commonly with other blood problems.The low MCHC goes along with the high MCV. MCV is Mean Corpuscular Volume. This is doctor-speak for large red blood cells. MCHC is Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin Concentration. If the red blood cells are big (High MCV) with the same total amount of hemoglobin as a normal red blood cell, then the MCHC will be automatically be low.
What about slightly a low or average MCV and low MCH? Would that indicate anything?

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Oozz wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:35 pm

What about slightly a low or average MCV and low MCH? Would that indicate anything?
Probably means nothing. Possibly early iron deficiency anemia. These numbers are generated automatically in modern cell counting machines when the doctor orders a CBC ("Complete Blood Count"). For the most part the doctor doesn't care about the MCV, MCH, MCHC, etc. unless they are significantly abnormal.
Blessings,
Holland