Horizant

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ericksonja

Horizant

Post by ericksonja »

I’ve been taking Horizant for 2 1/2 weeks and it isn’t working for me, at least not yet. My Doctor wants me to try for another week but I am noticing some side effects and cannot sleep at night without taking Ropinoirole too. How long has it taken Horizant to work for others? Can I just stop taking it or do I have to wean myself off? Unfortunately my doctor doesn’t respond as quickly as I would like and wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to these discussions - I have learned so much from all of you!

ViewsAskew

Re: Horizant

Post by ViewsAskew »

Are you augmented on the ropinerole? If so, not sure that Horizant would be OK in that situation. It just isn't strong enough to cover the excess symptoms during that time. Could also be the dose - how much are you taking?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ericksonja

Post by ericksonja »

I take 600 mg of Horizant and 2mg of ropinirole. The highest dose of my ropinirole has been 3 mg. I can sleep through the night on 2mg of ropinirole, but my legs (my quads) are most problematic between 6:30 and 9:00 PM. My neurologist decided today Horizant isn’t helping, so I will stop taking it. I am going to a chiropractor on Monday to see if they can help.

Thanks

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Your dose of ropinerole is pretty high at 2mg. Most rls experts through their experience would now say that the max daily dosage of ropinerole should be 1mg. I do understand that it is so tempting when the 2mg dose lets you sleep through the night but really it would be best to be reducing it. ViewsAskew/Ann has suggested the possibility of augmentation and if this is the case the only solution is to get off the ropinerole.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ericksonja

Post by ericksonja »

Wow, thank you. My doctor told me 3 mg is the typical dose. Going off is scary, but I will use this forum to see how I can do that without going crazy from lack of sleep.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I took ropinerole for about 15 years very quickly reaching 4mg daily which at That time was considered acceptable. Eventually I was on 5mg daily and obviously to me was augmenting. I was fearful of the effects of coming off the ropinerole and was taking codeine to try offset the augmentation. Members here had told me time and again I needed to get off the ropinerole.
One day I went for it and decided to taper slowly. Pregabalin was added to help and as my ropinerole gradually reduced my pregabalin was gradually increased.
I still take Pregabalin and codeine.
Best thing I ever did was coming off ropinerole.
Many come off their ropinerole over a few weeks. Some even go cold turkey but I think your dosage of 3mg is a bit high to do that.
I tapered much more slowly than was probably necessary but managed it without any bad times.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation