Fentanyl patches for RLS

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
debbluebird

Re: Fentanyl patches for RLS

Post by debbluebird »

gchamp wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:17 pm
Is using the fentanyl due to none of the other meds working? I’ve been on several different meds for my RLS, but fentanyl has never been discussed.
Fentanyl is 80 times stronger than morphine. Fentanyl is one of the strongest opioids.

Chart of Equivalents Below:
Oxycontin 20 mg twice a day
Morphine 30 mg twice a day
Fentanyl 25 mcg per hour
Methadone 10 twice a day

The most methadone that I ever took was 5 mg twice a day. I have severe RLS.

QyX

Post by QyX »

badnights wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:11 am
"QyX" wrote:The last few days I had hypersomnia, which is highly unusual for me. Especially stopping Oxycodone partially feels like coming off from a stimulant. I would not be surprised if part of my difficulties with sleep had been caused by Oxycodone.
Are you still super sleepy? It seems possible that, without the alerting effect of the oxycodone, your body was simply trying to make up for lost sleep. But if you're still hypersomnolent, maybe that's a side effect of the fentanyl.
gchamp wrote:I’ve been on several different meds for my RLS, but fentanyl has never been discussed.
I doubt if it ever will be discussed at a WED/RLS appointment in the U.S. or Canada, at least not in the forseeable future.
Ehm ehhh wild things have happened that had nothing to do with RLS or Non24 but it completely overloaded me emotionally for over a month. I have been on almost daily Clonazepam on doses up to 4 mg per day on certain days. I also have this weird interaction between Oxcarbazepine and Clonazepam where the majority of the classic Benzo effects are blocked though my CNS underwent some weird changes in the last weeks and who knows anymore what is happening: it all seems related to autism, I had those states before but this was a one of the few extremes one.

I had much worse in the past but the relative stability I was coming from made this state all the more surprising and violent in its consequences. My brain was so focused on processing emotions and trauma, I often barely could walk and keep my balance, was unable to shop for groceries for I dont know how many weeks, forgot to shower, eat and drink. You could even tell from my blood work how extreme the state was. I am currently checked every 4-6 weeks because I take terbinafine and my dermatologist was quite surprised about the jump in certain values: I was clearly not drinking enough for a longer period of time. Yeah, that's how extreme autism hyper focus can be. Not good, not healthy but almost impossible to break through.

Having strong emotions and then two severe sleeping disorders is not good.

Right now I am just exhausted from this state, it still doesn't seen fully over and there are lots of potential triggers in the air that could use flare ups of all sorts. I am working as hard and fast as I can on all my psychological construction sites but damn, I never would have expected such consequences.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

So sorry to hear of this, QyX. Hope you are able to get centered again quickly.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

QyX - I'm so sorry you are so unwell. To be so overwhelmed, so difficult. I wish you the strength to get through this.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

QyX

Post by QyX »

Appreciate your kind words Polar Baer and Ann. By now I have improved quite a bit. Most of the things going on now are somewhat just typical "autism things". I have been dealing with overcoming trauma and this set free lots of emotions and caused all kinds of ongoing changes in my social life.

Having Non24 and severe RLS is certainly not the best combination to deal with such a situation and I am certain the autism is not helping either. I have concluded in the end it is really just life and I can be thankful to have the medical support I have, otherwise I would be in serious trouble.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I have concluded in the end it is really just life and I can be thankful to have the medical support I have
Life is damn hard at times.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Greenleaf360

Post by Greenleaf360 »

One comment noted methadone at 200mg. I am suspicious. Recommended max dose for methadone is 40mg. Most patients are at 10mg.

You also mentioned building resistance to opioids. Methadone does not trigger the chemical thing that builds resistance. Once a maintenance dose is determined it never needs to be increased.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Greenleaf360 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:36 am
One comment noted methadone at 200mg. I am suspicious. Recommended max dose for methadone is 40mg. Most patients are at 10mg.

You also mentioned building resistance to opioids. Methadone does not trigger the chemical thing that builds resistance. Once a maintenance dose is determined it never needs to be increased.
I imagine that the person meant 20 mg - easy to add an extra zero as a typo.

Unfortunately, some of us do have tolerance with methadone - I am one of them. I have to routinely reduce/stop it and then add it back in or else I just keep increasing the dosage every 8-12 months.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.