An encouraging word from my rheumatologist

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
SleepyBhamster

An encouraging word from my rheumatologist

Post by SleepyBhamster »

To give some history, it was from this forum that I got the suggestion to email Dr. Buchfuhrer since I wasn't getting anywhere in trying to get iron infusions locally. My last hope was my rheumatologist who I see for systemic lupus. Dr. B wrote out what he would do, and sent a couple papers that I gave my doc along with Dr. B's email.

Thankfully, my doctor read it all and ordered infusions immediately. (This was last September.) Saw him today about very high ferritin*. Again, had a little advice to give him from Dr. B. saying it's the transferrin level he would go by.

During the exam, when I reminded him what a miracle the iron was in stopping my systems, he told me how he's been telling all his other patients with RLS about them. I was a bit distracted, so it wasn't until I got out to my car that it hit me that he had said, "You've probably helped a lot of people with all this." It got me a little verklempt. :cry:

He's a really good doctor and I love how delighted he is to have learned this. I think I ought to get him that RLS book that one of the moderators mentioned recently.

Oh, he also got a good chuckle over the debate about the name RLS and was making up his own examples similar to Shaking Head Disease for Parkinson's. One had to do with the groin--wish I could remember.

Anyway, I felt good to think I may have helped other, but the real thanks belongs to Dr. Buchfuhrer and you helpful people on this forum!

Sleepy B

*His guess is that my ferritin was high (558) because of a stomach virus I had 2 weeks ago.

Rustsmith

Re: An encouraging word from my rheumatologist

Post by Rustsmith »

The book is "Clinical Management of Restless Legs Syndrome" by Lee, Buchfuhrer, Allen and Hening. It is about $35 on Amazon.

I had a somewhat similar experience when I educated my GP about RLS a few years ago. On my next visit he said "You are making my life difficult" and then smiled. He went on to explain that as a result of talking about RLS with me, he was able to diagnose RLS is a couple of his patients and he even prescribed the correct treatments for them. He said that if not for me, he would have blown off their complaints of needing to move around at night and poor sleep.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SleepyBhamster

Post by SleepyBhamster »

That's great, Steve! And I'll bet you're more coherent that I am about it. I can pretty much only hand out documents and hope someone will read them.

I think I should get him that book--I'll bet he would actually read it. Thanks for telling me about it!

Edit: they only have the book used and costing $47. But what about "Clinician's Manual on Restless Legs Syndrome" by Dr. Buchfuhrer? And/or "Restless Legs Syndrome: Coping with Your Sleepless Nights (American Academy of Neurology Press Quality of Life Guides)"? What do you think of those?

2nd edit: Professional Communications has the book for $30 plus $8 shipping. Will probably do it that way.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

When I looked at Amazon, they had the book by Lee, Dr. B, Allen and Hening for $28. The catch is that they only show Dr Lee as the author. It has a blue cover.

As for Dr B's book, I am not familiar with it but it is a bit newer, so I wouldn't be surprised if it would be just as good for what you want to do with it.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Rustsmith wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:01 am
When I looked at Amazon, they had the book by Lee, Dr. B, Allen and Hening for $28. The catch is that they only show Dr Lee as the author. It has a blue cover.
Here is the URL for the book on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Managem ... 837&sr=8-5
Blessings,
Holland

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

As wild as RLS and PLMS symptoms are, they are all in that book. My favorite is how symptoms can disappear when on vacation or very engaged mentally. I just had a week in New Orleans and legs went silent. I forget chapter and verse but it’s in there.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Edit: they only have the book used and costing $47. But what about "Clinician's Manual on Restless Legs Syndrome" by Dr. Buchfuhrer? And/or "Restless Legs Syndrome: Coping with Your Sleepless Nights (American Academy of Neurology Press Quality of Life Guides)"? What do you think of those?
Buchfuhrer's 2016 book is a very slim, small handbook. It is focussed on diagnosis and management, so it doesn't have the sections that the blue book has on causes of WED/RLS (genetics, pathophysiology) nor on psychiatric comorbidities (though the latter are discussed briefly). The book is also much more succinct in other areas. It covers clinical presentation, differential diagnosis, and management in some detail. His recommendations re IV iron therapy are much more conservative than he practices - he only says it can be considered for people who also have anemia and don't respond to oral iron. He discusses augmenation well, and recommends maximum daily doses of 0.25 mg pramipexole, 1 or 2 mg ropinirole, and 3 mg rotigotine (the patch).

The American Academy of Neurology book (also by Buchfurher, along with co-authos Hening and Kushida) is older, 2009, and differs from the other two in that it is aimed at the patient, not the doctor. However, it covers much of the same ground, and a lot of people might relate better to the writing style. It contains useful information on medications that can exacerbate WED/RLS. However, it is too out-of-date to give your doctor, and I wouldn't recommend buying it for yourself, either. It lists pergolide and otehr ergot-derived dopamine agonists as possible treatments, but these medications [were pulled from the North American market - -for a while? - I thought - but I can't find info on that - anyway! they] are not recommended for WED/RLS anymore, because they can cause fibrosis. The book recommends iron only as oral iron and only if serum ferritin is less than 45 ug/mL.Augmentation as a consequence of dopamine agonist use is barely touched on - not enough was known in 2009.

Overall, for me it's a toss-up between the blue book (Clinical Management....) and the slim 2016 Buchfuhrer-only book (which is also blue). The Clinical Management blue book is still quite conservative on iron therapy compared to the 2018 consesnsus guidelines, it still mentions the ergot-derived meds, and it is not as emphatic as I would like regarding augmentation - in that respect, Buchfuhrer's 2016 book is better.

The Foundation's pamphlet "RLS Medical Bulletin: A Publication for Healthcare Providers" was last updated in 2018 and would be a useful adjunct to either little blue book. It is free to members. Unfortunately, the subsection on iron therapy is called "Iron Deficiency" and is tucked away in the section titled "Secondary RLS: RLS Associated with Other Conditions". It belongs in the Treatment section. However, the discussion of iron therapy generally reflects the 2018 consensus guidelines; for this reason it would be useful to give your doctor. Some other problems with the pamphlet:
- It fails to recommend a check of iron and ferritin concentrations before prescribing dopamine-type medications for Chronic Persistent RLS/WED, though the recommendation is made for Refractory RLS/WED.
- It underplays the consequences and perhaps the risk of augmentation.
- It fails to clarify that sleep aids do not treat the sensory and movement parts of the disease (except perhaps clonazepam for some people), and that people can therefore be sedated while being forced to move around.
But overall it's very good. If you can't buy a book, buy a membership and download the pamphlet.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

SleepyBhamster

Post by SleepyBhamster »

Thank you! Haven't been on the site lately because of depression. But I don't want to forget to do this for my doctor. I appreciate the advice.