Iron infusions vs Lexapro

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
SleepyBhamster

Iron infusions vs Lexapro

Post by SleepyBhamster »

Wrote a lot as background but then deleted. To get to the core of the issue: I just resumed* Lexapro (escitalopram) 10mg to try to get my depression and anxiety under control. Was first given Wellbutrin but I felt sedated and sick (nausea, stomach ache) for the 4 days I took it. After 5 days of Lexapro, my RLS started up last night--for the first time since iron infusions in October 2020.

Trying my best to find a good psychiatrist (the one I was assigned 2 weeks ago was not good and I can't reach him at all). I do start counseling on Monday with someone who has been highly recommended by a couple people I trust. And I'm seeing Dr. Arthur Walters at Vanderbilt July 1. But for right now while I wait, I just want to know if it's possible that iron infusions can counteract the effects of Lexapro as far as RLS?

I was hoping to increase the Lexapro to 20mg (my PCP okayed it) but now that the RLS started last night, I am afraid to. It was rather mild--just sort of sliding my legs around, but of course I had to be awake to be aware of that.

My PCP has suggested that instead of taking the Lexapro in the morning, I wait to take my next dose tomorrow night. I have been incredibly fatigued during the day so that it's hard to think straight--just typing this is taking a huge effort.
------------
*I have taken Lexapro for probably more than 10 years, pre-dating my RLS. I stopped last year when I wondered if it could be exacerbating RLS. But I got iron infusions just about the same time, so no way to know.

Stainless

Re: Iron infusions vs Lexapro

Post by Stainless »

What was your iron infusion experience? Sorry I don't know anything about Lexapro.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Not to my knowledge, but I don't think we have a lot of info related to this. My gut says no - even if the infusion reduced the natural symptoms, if this particular AD is increasing it, it will increase it.

The dratted disease complicates so many things :-(.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SleepyBhamster

Post by SleepyBhamster »

Following up: I have increased my dose of Lexapro to 20mg and have not had RLS symptoms. I don't know if it was just agitation for a couple nights when I started. I was in a bad way with anxiety and depression.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

SleepyBhamster wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:28 pm
Following up: I have increased my dose of Lexapro to 20mg and have not had RLS symptoms. I don't know if it was just agitation for a couple nights when I started. I was in a bad way with anxiety and depression.
Glad it is working and hope that this means you are feeling less anxious and depressed.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SleepyBhamster

Post by SleepyBhamster »

Thanks!