Pregabalin and Methadone Scripts filled in Florida

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
bwendt

Pregabalin and Methadone Scripts filled in Florida

Post by bwendt »

Hi,

Long time sufferer of RLS w/many treatments over the years. Currently I take 15 mg of methadone and 400 mg of pregabalin. This is a new treatment of just over a month but so far the RLS is under control. I take the pregabalin late in the day so the light headed/dizzy affects are not a huge issue.

I am a long time patient of DR. B. and still see him (ZOOM this year) once a year. I email his office, Stanford Sleep Center, once a month and they email the scripts to my local Walgreeens in Oregon. Walgreens fills then and my insurance covers them.

Question: Does anyone know if this relationship will work if I move to another state? Like Florida. Would a pharmacy in Florida fill Dr. B. scripts for me?

As everyone knows having a pharmacy that will support a maintenance dosage of methadone is critical to a healthy life.

Thank you in advance. You folks are terrific....bill

Rustsmith

Re: Pregabalin and Methadone Scripts filled in Florida

Post by Rustsmith »

Bill, there are certain locations around the US where getting opioid scripts can be a problem and Florida has historically been one of the most problematic due to the "pill mills" that operated in that area in the past. There are also sometimes limits on a doctor's ability to prescribe medications outside of their own state. I remember hearing a comment at the last patient symposium about how rules were relaxed a bit due to Covid that allowed doctors to prescribe in neighboring states. That might explain how Dr B is able to send scripts to your pharmacy in Oregon. The best way to find out about where he can prescribe directly would simply be to ask his office.

Another approach that some others use is to find a local doctor who will write scripts under Dr B's direction. The local pharmacy then see's a script from a local doctor. Of course, the problem here is to find a local doc who is willing to act as the middle man.I used to live in a town that had the largest pill mill operation outside of Florida. The local pharmacies would only fill opioid scripts written by a doctor in that town. So my local GP wrote my scripts based on the directions of my doctor at the major medical school in the state capital.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Agreed with Steve that calling the office to find out is a good move. I used to fill opioid scripts from Dr B in Chicago through Walgreens. But, that was almost five years ago. Now I live in California. Things have just gotten harder since I moved, not easier, and as Steve noted, Florida is notoriously difficult.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

bwendt

Post by bwendt »

Thank you both for the timely response. I will call his office and post what I find. bill

bwendt

Post by bwendt »

Hi, I called DR B's office and they explained that DR B. will work with any DR or pharmacy that will work with him. He does mandate that the patient be seen by DR B. in person at least once before he will write scripts. This applies to any patient in or out of state. The office also explained that some Drs/Pharmacies can be very difficult to work with. They recommended that before I move I contact a few DRs and pharmacies hoping they will support me. Lastly, they explained that largely due the RLS Foundation and all of us asking for help things are getting better.

Steve/Ann - thank you for the recommendation.

bill

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

bwendt wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:25 pm
Hi, I called DR B's office and they explained that DR B. will work with any DR or pharmacy that will work with him. He does mandate that the patient be seen by DR B. in person at least once before he will write scripts. This applies to any patient in or out of state. The office also explained that some Drs/Pharmacies can be very difficult to work with. They recommended that before I move I contact a few DRs and pharmacies hoping they will support me. Lastly, they explained that largely due the RLS Foundation and all of us asking for help things are getting better.

Steve/Ann - thank you for the recommendation.

bill
Great news.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS