mirapex side effects

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
rls sufferer

mirapex side effects

Post by rls sufferer »

HI,
I'm hoping I can get some help. I started Mirapex 2 weeks ago for rls. 3 days into it I started my menstrual period 2 weeks early which never happens to me. 10 days later i started my period once again. Is this a usual reaction? will it stop with time or should I try a new med? My neurologist said she's never heard of this happening but, then again, most of her patients on mirapex are not still ovulating.
I am 36 years old. I have severe RLS with chronic pain 24/7. Darvon works wonders for me but my doctor isn't comfortable prescribing it in the dose I need to keep me comfortable. I've stopped taking the Mirapex because I hate the side effects. Other side effects are daytime sleepiness, waking up every hour during the night and headaches.
Anyone else have these same problems?
Thanks

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

To get a medical opinion, maybe try posting an email to Dr B - he's a RLS guru that has a website where he will answer people's questions about RLS. He's sure more likely to know. www.rlshelp.org.

Let us know what you find out - I'd like to know if that turns out to be a side effect, even if rare. Hope it works out for you soon. One period a month is too many!

Ann

Post by Guest »

thank you Ann. I have sent him a message and am waiting for a reply. I will let you know what i find out.

Kris

Post by Kris »

I don't have irregularities like that with Mirapex, but I do hallucinate. I don't worry about it - I know its the Mirapex. They are kinda funny really. The other day I saw a big ol black dog in my kitchen. Darn. I shook my head and looked again, it ran out of my field of vision, then I looked again and it was gone. Just the mirapex. For some reason every time I put my laundry in, I see lizards run up the walls. Just the mirapex.

I would fight someone for it though. lol Its helped me so much. I can handle black doggies and lizards. No problem.

Post by Guest »

Wierd, I've had sort of "things out of the corner of my eye" kind of halucinations from Mirapex also. Nothing as specific as a dog, but just I thought I saw something feeling. I put it down to the Mirapex as well, it's not the sort of thing were you really belive you saw something, you're very aware that it wasn't really there. I'm on .75.

jennever

Post by jennever »

Kris wrote:I don't have irregularities like that with Mirapex, but I do hallucinate. I don't worry about it - I know its the Mirapex.

It is not normal to hallucinate while taking any medication. Hallucinating on Mirapex means you are taking too much at a time, or taking your doses too close to each other. You really should see your doctor about such a side effect.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Last year at the RLS convention, Dr Earley was interested in talking to people that hallucinated while on Mirapex. It happens to people with Parkinson's and he hadn't yet seen a case with RLSers and that interested him. One woman in the room had had them, however. He talked to her privately after the session and was quite excited. So, it appears that the DAs do cause hallucinations, albeit not too frequently in RLSers.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I've been on Mirapex for a long time--for awhile, I was on 3 mg., which is a lot! I'm now on 1.5 mg. While I was on 3 mg., I had what I would describe as night terrors. I would wake up screaming--although I wasn't REALLY completely awake. My husband would try to wake me up fully and I would continue to scream. I was aware that I was doing it, but couldn't stop. During the night terrors, I also experienced "paralysis". My brain was saying "move", but I couldn't.

I did this for about a week or so, contacted my doctor and was immediately weaned back down to 1.5 mg. No more night terrors.

I would agree with Trev--I think you should tell your doctor about your hallucinations. Good luck!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Post by Guest »

ViewsAskew wrote:Last year at the RLS convention, Dr Earley was interested in talking to people that hallucinated while on Mirapex. It happens to people with Parkinson's and he hadn't yet seen a case with RLSers and that interested him. One woman in the room had had them, however. He talked to her privately after the session and was quite excited. So, it appears that the DAs do cause hallucinations, albeit not too frequently in RLSers.

Ann

Ann, probablly the reason rls'ers dont hallucinte as often is we typically don't take very high doses. Where a person with parkinsons does along with several combinations of the medications where we typically get one at a time. A friend of mine has parkinsons and i seen his list of meds omg but he is taking about three of the meds they tried on me as a single. So makes real since that a parkinson patient would hallucinate. Which that is a side effect of most parkinson medications.

Jan

bgallo

medications

Post by bgallo »

i have tried several medications, requip, mirapex and one other one. All three have made me extremely nausues to the point that one night my husband almost took me to the emergency room. Has anyone else tried another medication that may not have the same side effects?????

I have lost 12 pounds inthe last month on these meds. and i am tired of vomiting all of the time. Any help would be appreciated

DONNAKFOX

re: mirapex

Post by DONNAKFOX »

I have been taking mirapex for my rls for quite sometime. I don't have any side effects if I take 1/2 tab of 1 milligram a day. Od'ing on mirapex, however, makes my blood pressure drop, causing me to faint. My main gripe is the cost of the medicine, because I have no insurance. Is there any financial assisance available for this medication? Dkf

becat

Hi Donna

Post by becat »

Hi Donna and Welcome to the board.
The blood pressure thing must be awfully scary. It's been awhile since I've been on Mirapex, wish I could offer more support with that.....Someone else may, hopefully, chime in about that issue.
There is such a thing, it's just not easy to get.
Any doctor in the USA has the paper work to fill out for/with you, to ask for low cost or free medication from most drug companies.
It's not know by many, because docs and you, have to prove that you are truely unable to pay for medications and the paper work is said to be a bugger to fill out and summit. I'm not sure how they qualify any of the above, I just know it's in place to use.
It can be done, may just take some work and time. And again you have to be able to prove that you need, but cannot pay for the medication.
I'm sorry I can only offer that, other than the support of the people here and this website, and a support group in your area.....coming to Ft. Worth in Jan 2006.....cross your fingers.
The Greater Dallas area support group page is below, meeting time and place will be posted soon.
Take care,
Becat