Iron bloodwork

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
lhoff12085

Iron bloodwork

Post by lhoff12085 »

My iron levels were low so my doctor wants me retested in 3 months. He said I don't need to fast for the tests. I thought I heard Dr Early at the Summit say that we always need to fast before an iron blood test. I also can't recall what he called iron...something meaning it is easily impacted by food, a cold, etc. Does anyone know the words? Thanks....Laura

stjohnh

Re: Iron bloodwork

Post by stjohnh »

The most common "iron" blood test done is the ferritin level. And yes, the test is somewhat more accurate if you are fasting, but the difference is not a lot, and most labs don't actually require you to be fasting for the ferritin test.
Blessings,
Holland

lhoff12085

Post by lhoff12085 »

Thanks much...!

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

I think that you should fast. From my understanding, ferritin is incredibly sensitive; even coffee can raise your readings. I’m a patient of Dr. earley and he recommends that I eat nothing and drink only water for at least 12 hours prior to the test. He also told me not to eat a meat heavy meal for dinner the night before.

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

Oozz wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:50 pm
I think that you should fast. From my understanding, ferritin is incredibly sensitive; even coffee can raise your readings. I’m a patient ofd he recommends that I eat nothing and drink only water for at least 12 hours prior to the test. He also told me not to eat a meat heavy meal for dinner the night before.