Venofer (Iron Sucrose)

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Oozz

Venofer (Iron Sucrose)

Post by Oozz »

Has anyone used this IV iron formulation and had success in treating RLS?

Thanks,

Oozz

stjohnh

Re: Venofer (Iron Sucrose)

Post by stjohnh »

I don't have any experience with this, but the International Restless Legs Syndrome Study Group guidelines paper says in part 5.4.1 that iron sucrose "is probably not effective." If possible, it is probably best to use Injectafer (ferric carboxymaltose). If not available or too expensive, the best evidence for effectiveness as an alternate to Injectafer, is Low Molecular Weight Iron Dextran.

There are several forum members that have had Venofer, it looks like the most positive is at:viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5793&p=38342&hilit=venofer#p38342

If you put "Venofer" in the search box at the upper right, you will get a list of posts that mention it.
Blessings,
Holland

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

stjohnh wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:17 pm
I don't have any experience with this, but the International Restless Legs Syndrome Study Group guidelines paper says in part 5.4.1 that iron sucrose "is probably not effective." If possible, it is probably best to use Injectafer (ferric carboxymaltose). If not available or too expensive, the best evidence for effectiveness as an alternate to Injectafer, is Low Molecular Weight Iron Dextran.

There are several forum members that have had Venofer, it looks like the most positive is at:viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5793&p=38342&hilit=venofer#p38342

If you put "Venofer" in the search box at the upper right, you will get a list of posts that mention it.
Thanks. I saw some of the posts on this, but they were dated. I’m 5/10, I’ll update my results when I get a few weeks out of the full 10.

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

After my 8th session, I tried weaning from .375 mirapex to .25 but was not successful. I’m going to retry 4-6 weeks after my last session.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

Good luck. It usually takes a few weeks for IV iron to have and effect.
Blessings,
Holland

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oozz wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:30 am
After my 8th session, I tried weaning from .375 mirapex to .25 but was not successful. I’m going to retry 4-6 weeks after my last session.
They say it should work by 8 weeks AFTER it's all in. But I found it takes longer for me. I thought it didn't work when I had one of my first ones. At 6 or 7 weeks, I did the same - tried to reduce medication. But no luck. I tried again a couple weeks later, then again at 9 weeks - no luck. So, I gave up. At about 12-13 weeks, I tried again - cannot remember why, but whether short of meds or what, I found that it worked!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

ViewsAskew wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:29 am
Oozz wrote:
They say it should work by 8 weeks AFTER it's all in. But I found it takes longer for me. I thought it didn't work when I had one of my first ones. At 6 or 7 weeks, I did the same - tried to reduce medication. But no luck. I tried again a couple weeks later, then again at 9 weeks - no luck. So, I gave up. At about 12-13 weeks, I tried again - cannot remember why, but whether short of meds or what, I found that it worked!
This is very helpful. You used injectafer, correct?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oozz wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:32 am
ViewsAskew wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:29 am
Oozz wrote:
This is very helpful. You used injectafer, correct?
The first time it was Injectafer, and the second. The third, it was not - insurance wouldn't cover it. I still had success - a year of reduced symptoms. BUT, this last time, insurance wouldn't cover it, so I figured, fine, it worked last time. But, after 6 sessions, my ferritin was still under 200 (and the hematologist blown away) and I every attempt to lower meds was met with increased symptoms. So, he fought for me re. insurance - it took 3 months, but. I just started my series with Injectafer this last Friday!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

At week 7 I tapered of medications and did not see any benefit. However, I have been told that it could take as long as 120 days to see any benefit. I don’t fully understand this concept and I’m paraphrasing, but… “after iron is absorbed from macrophages, it takes around 120 days for that iron to be released.” With that said, I will taper again every 3 weeks until week 17.

I’ve pretty much read every research paper about IV iron and there is still a lot that needs to be uncovered. I view this as a positive because there will likely be advances in this therapy that will allow us to use it more effectively.

badnights

Post by badnights »

there will likely be advances in this therapy that will allow us to use it more effectively.
Can't happen soon enough for me.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

I stopped my medication again at week 10 and week 11, but, unfortunately, no improvement in my RLS.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Can still hope. Ann's took a very long time.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.