Methadone Side Effects

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Bannia

Methadone Side Effects

Post by Bannia »

I was started on methadone 5 mg 6 days ago. It has definitely relieved my RLS symptoms, but I’m struggling with some side effects.

I feel quite lightheaded and almost dizzy about half the day, with quite a few bad headaches. I take 2.5 mg at around 9:00 AM and the other 2.5 around 4:00 PM. I originally took it at night, but it kept me awake.

Do these side effects generally go away over time, and if so, how long does it take. It’s sort of like the cure is worse than the disease at this point.

Polar Bear

Re: Methadone Side Effects

Post by Polar Bear »

I see that you started your methadone 6 days ago. Dizziness and headaches are a side affect of methadone and it would be hoped they'd settle within 1 - 2 weeks but we all know how each person can react very differently to medications. If they don't settle within 2 weeks from the start date it might be worth speaking with your doctor for reassurance. If you can stick with it, it would be worth a try, especially as it does actually relieve your rls symptoms.
I haven't ever used methadone myself and cannot speak from personal experience.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

When I first started taking methadone, my doctor wanted me to quickly increase the dose from 5mg to 10mg. I experienced the issues you describe when I increased to 10mg and so I immediately dropped back to 5mg, which turned out to be all that I needed to manage my RLS. Some methadone pills can be split in half, so you might ask your doctor to let you try 2.5mg and see if that helps and also controls your RLS.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

My side effect was nausea from methadone, but it went away after a month.
Good luck

hHelp!

Post by hHelp! »

I'm concerned about Methadone inducing Central Sleep Apnea, disturbing S_T wave in brain, and constipation. Any one have issues with these side-effects? Also, I'm currently taking Mirapex 0.25mg every other day. Do you have to wean off of Mirapex before taking Methadone?

Thanks,

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

hHelp, last question first. No, you do not need to wean off of pramipexole before taking methadone. I currently take both.

As for methadone side effects, constipation is a side effect of all opioids, including methadone. It is something that can be "managed". As for central apneas, that side effect varies between individuals and it is something that can occur. I live at high altitude, where centrals are also more frequent and I sleep with a CPAP. As a result, my neurologist asks if I am still using my CPAP every time I see her. As for disturbing S-T waves, that is probably something that you need to ask your doctor.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.