Has anyone tried buprenorphine?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Polar Bear

Re: Has anyone tried buprenorphine?

Post by Polar Bear »

I hope you have a positive appointment with your doctor because although you have your methadone stash it won't last for ever, no matter how low a dose is taken.
Good luck.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I received a note from my Doctor. She is willing to write a prescription for methadone.
I've weaned off methadone twice before because Doctors didn't want me taking it. One Doctor told me she didn't think I could wean off. That Doctor is no longer my Doctor.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Bad news. I got a message tonight from the nurse practitioner. This is what she wants to give me.
2.5 mg methadone Twice a WEEK, 10 tablets a month.
This is insane. She can't be knowledgeable about RLS. Especially when mine is severe.
Needless to say, I'm very upset.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

That is an absurd dose. At that level, you would almost continually be going through withdrawal. Not only won't it help with your RLS, it will make your general well being worse.
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

This is so ridiculous that I wonder has she made a mistake in the dosage. Constant withdrawal.... and useless anyway.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I talked to a long time nurse friend of mine. She's heard if this nurse practitioner and says she's an idiot. Goes from job to job with no experience in pain treatment much less RLS. She is currently working at the pain clinic.
I made an appointment with the Doctor for this coming Monday. A week from today I am to get another injection. They always help my RLS for about 2 months. Injections are every 3 months.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

An I correct in thinking that on Monday you are seeing your PCP who is quite separate from the nurse who is in the pain clinic. To clarify....... Can your PCP prescribe methadone at a dosage to suit you regardless of what the nurse in the pain clinic says.
Betty

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I am seeing the Pain Doctor, not my PCP. My PCP won't prescribe any narcotics. The Nurse Practitioner is under the Pain Doctor.
The Pain Doctor told me a year or more ago that she wouldn't give me any more than 2.5 mg of methadone.
The last two days I've taken 2.5 mg of methadone at night plus a very tiny piece of the buprenorphine 1/32. I know this is not good.
Tomorrow I will only take the tiny piece of buprenorphine since 2.5 mg of methadone is not enough.
Needless to say I'm not feeling very good about all of this.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ugh, Deb. This is terrible.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Debs, thank you for clarifying the situation. I can see how you are stuck.
Betty

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I realized yesterday that you shouldn't combine the methadone and the buprenorphine. The buprenorphine kicks out the methadone from the pain receptors, which will cause RLS.
So tonight only 1/32 of the buprenorphine. 2.5 mg of methadone just won't cover me and since my Doctor won't give me any more than that, I'm stuck.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I don't have much choice. The Doctor won't prescribe the amount of Methadone that will cover my RLS. So I have decided to stay with the buprenorphine. The side effects have mostly ended.
I will continue to get steroid injections in my lower back. They seem to help calm my RLS.
Such as life.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I hope your injection does also calm your rls and as the buprenorphine side effects have eased perhaps you will find things improving.
Betty

Dr.Placebo

Post by Dr.Placebo »

Hello, Deb, I am new to the group, and I want to offer my sympathy, since I know most doctors seem incapable of sympathy or empathy. I know there are some, though, and maybe, somehow, you will find one. I hope you do. and I hope I do someday. Sending positive energy your way...
--Paul (another RLS sufferer unable to find a provider who knows how to treat the disease).
Paul

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Thanks Paul, Betty and everyone else.
My injection helped as always. My RLS is caused by pinched nerves from severe osteoarthritis.
I will now be alternating from the right and left side of my lower spine. I will get the next injection on the right side in 2 months, because it's on the other side, I do not have to wait 3 months. This will help immensely. It's always been the third month that has been difficult.
The Doctor who gives me the injections is helpful and supportive.