For those on opiods, something to be aware of

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
stockton2malone2

For those on opiods, something to be aware of

Post by stockton2malone2 »

Unfortunately it looks like there may be another thing to worry about in the ever growing crack down on our meds that only seems to accomplish further scaring doctors and depriving patients.

https://www.wired.com/story/opioid-drug ... onic-pain/

TLDR: An algorithm called NarxCare is ranking the risk of addiction for everyone in the US using mostly arbitrary and ridiculous metrics from a small sample size. It can and is used by doctors and pharmacists as a reason to deny opiate medications regardless of wider context.

badnights

Re: For those on opiods, something to be aware of

Post by badnights »

stockton2malone2 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:57 pm
Unfortunately it looks like there may be another thing to worry about in the ever growing crack down on our meds that only seems to accomplish further scaring doctors and depriving patients.

https://www.wired.com/story/opioid-drug ... onic-pain/

TLDR: An algorithm called NarxCare is ranking the risk of addiction for everyone in the US using mostly arbitrary and ridiculous metrics from a small sample size. It can and is used by doctors and pharmacists as a reason to deny opiate medications regardless of wider context.
Wow, that article just blows my mind. How such things can happen baffles me. How can a proprietary algorithm that no one has even pretended to prove works, be accepted - no, be legally required to be used by authorities???? I am sitting here mind-blown.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.