Has anyone else had problems getting methadone prescription filled?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
RodneyDangerfield

Has anyone else had problems getting methadone prescription filled?

Post by RodneyDangerfield »

I’m taking methadone to manage RLS and have had such a hard time finding a pharmacy that will fill the prescription. My regular pharmacy said it was backordered and couldn’t fill my prescription, causing my to run out completely. No other pharmacy wants to fill this med.

Every time I need to get this prescription filled, I get horrible anxiety.

It’s been a couple of sleepless nights now and I’m losing hope.

Rustsmith

Re: Has anyone else had problems getting methadone prescription filled?

Post by Rustsmith »

Sometimes it just takes persistence, but be aware that if your state has an opioid registration list, the pharmacists may all be logging the fact that you asked. This can make you appear to be a drug seeker and will get you blocked by everyone except your old pharmacy.

I have spoke with the pharmacist where I go to get my methadone and warned her that I will be there every month, so please be sure that you have a supply ready for me when I come in. I also had an experience a few years ago when I was trying to get a tramadol prescription filled. The first pharmacy could only fill half of my prescription and sent me to a different store in the same chain. They were only able to provide me with a few more pill (enough to get me through the weekend). When I went back to pick up the rest on the day that was promised, no pills. Thankfully, the pharmacist heard me talking to the technician and came over to say that they normal supplier was out. Without my asking, he went back to his computer and checked alternative suppliers and found one that could deliver the next day. So you might want to ask them to check their backup suppliers if their normal supplier is out of stock.

This is why I try to push the day that I can get refills. Often they will refill on day 27 or 28 and you get 30 pills. If you do this every month, you soon build up an emergency stash for situations like this.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Rustsmith has mentioned the emergency stash. My emergency stash is such a reassurance. At one time I had just filled a prescription. About a week later my doctor then changed the dosage and provided a 28 day prescription for the new dosage which has been repeated and filled every 28 days since. This has greatly enhanced my stash.
Previously on occasion I may have missed a morning pill, this would be the time when my symptoms would affect me least and especially when being physically active. A pill here, a pill there, and so a stash is built.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

RodneyDangerfield

Post by RodneyDangerfield »

Just reached out to the neuro for emergency Mirapex. I haven’t slept well all weekend. I know it’s ticking timebomb but I’m desperate. The pharmacy is just plain out with no ETA on when they will get more. I asked about getting from another supplier and was told they have a contract so no go on that route.

I honestly don’t care what I take to keep the RLS away as long as it stays away.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I can't even get a prescription for it in NM.