Methadone and weight loss

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Jcg64

Methadone and weight loss

Post by Jcg64 »

I have been taking opioids and now methadone for over 6 years…switched to methadone about 8 months ago…works fine so did the OxyContin Er…I switched to methadone because of the longer half life which leads to fewer side effects. I have noticed that over the past 4 years I keep losing weight and my appetite is suppressed with the exception of sugary items. Anyone else have an appetite suppression issue and if so what if anything can be done to reverse it. Gone from 184 to 145 pounds…with no end in sight. Endocrinologist told be that methadone and opioids can supress your appetite and I read that methadone can increase your appetite for sugary items. Thanks in advance….

debbluebird

Re: Methadone and weight loss

Post by debbluebird »

I never had that problem. I took methadone for 10 years. Sorry to hear of your issues.

IzzyKoshi

Post by IzzyKoshi »

I find that Methadone makes eating breakfast very difficult as no appetite. Best wishes.

tea4one

Post by tea4one »

Hi Jcg,

I've read that as many as 10% of those who take methadone may experience increased depression. The symptoms mentioned, appetite suppression and cravings for sugary things, can be attributed to depression. I'm not saying that's what you're experiencing, only that it's a possibility.

Jayson