Opiods and sleep

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
mackmann

Opiods and sleep

Post by mackmann »

Next week I see Dr. Buckfurer as I have augmented on 1.25 of Ropinerole and 900 mg. of Gabapentin daily. I feel he might put me on an opioid at this point and I’m concerned about sleep.

I know it’s all very individual as to how we react to meds., but I would love some input about what opioids might cause less of a sleep problem and/ or strategies to sleep while on them.

Thanks!
Mackmann

Rustsmith

Re: Opiods and sleep

Post by Rustsmith »

We all react differently when it comes to how the opioids impact our sleep. For some, they are sedating and for others they cause alerting. I take methadone and it causes alerting, but I counter this side effect by taking it at lunch instead of at bedtime. Since methadone is a 1/day med, it doesn't matter when you take it so long as you take it at the same time each day.

And since you are seeing Dr B, there is a good chance that he will start you off with methadone if he wants you on an opioid. He is like many other RLS experts who prefer methadone because 1) it is 1/day and 2) it has a slight interaction with the dopamine receptors, which seems to help a little bit.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

QyX

Post by QyX »

mackmann wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:55 pm
Next week I see Dr. Buckfurer as I have augmented on 1.25 of Ropinerole and 900 mg. of Gabapentin daily. I feel he might put me on an opioid at this point and I’m concerned about sleep.

I know it’s all very individual as to how we react to meds., but I would love some input about what opioids might cause less of a sleep problem and/ or strategies to sleep while on them.

Thanks!
Mackmann
Nobody can know in advance because we are all so different. Fentanyl is a very neutral opioid regarding sleep but basically impossible to get for RLS in the U.S. ... morphine is quite a nice option sometimes because it is sedative, almost like a classic hypnotic but tolerance will develop.

Some opioids are more stimulant and some are less. What rules apply for others might not apply for you. The variance is high. Thinking about strategies and ways to deal with opioid side effects makes sense once you understand how you react to the drug.

In general, all opioids can cause sleep problems while also all opioids can improve sleep.

Also tolerance occurs regarding side effects. For some people oxycodone is a very stimulating opioid, for others not. It is important that your doctor works with you and that you can address your concerns with your doctor.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

If he puts you on an opioid, just wait and see what happens. At first it should be fine. If you start to have some alertness, try taking the dose earlier. I'm taking buprenorphine film, 1/4 of a 2 mg film. I am now taking it at 2:30 pm. I might even try 2 pm. I'm waiting to see how tonight goes.