Oxycodone

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
mackmann

Oxycodone

Post by mackmann »

I saw Dr. Buckfurer who put me on Oxycodone and morphine sulfate starting the first of the year. Because my QT Interval is 403 he thought that too high for methadone therapy. I’m starting on low doses of both but quite frankly don’t think that’s going to work as I’ll be going off 1.25 of Requip cold turkey.

The oxy. will work at the correct dose which may be higher than I want initially, but hopefully I should be able to lower the dose as the Requip gets out of my system. My issue is short acting oxy. taken at bedtime (5 mg.) doesn’t stop the RLS for more than an hour and doesn’t allow me to sleep. Hence the morphine sulfate which hopefully will work for sleep.

My question is would it be worthwhile to go to oxy. extended release and take in a couple of hours before bed I’m the hopes it would control my symptoms and allow sleep. If that works I could forget the morphine.

Any input woild be appreciated.
Mackmann

Polar Bear

Re: Oxycodone

Post by Polar Bear »

I can't answer the question about the oxy/methadone but I'm sure someone will answer that soon.
However with regard to the requip I'm wondering why you are coming off cold turkey and not weaning off. In my opinion at a dose of 1.25 requip you would have an easier time if you wean.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

mackmann

Post by mackmann »

That’s what I suggested but Dr. Buckfurer said that’s like pulling a bandage off slowly; it’s better to do it in one shot.
I think I may try weaning because I’m concerned about sleep.
My larger concern is that I tried a single dose of morphine sulfate and went to bed at 10:00 but didn’t get to sleep until 1:30

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Officially, the half life of morphine is 2-4 hrs. However, there have been studies that have shown it to be as much as 15 hrs. So, you might try taking it just after dinner with the idea that the alerting side effect wears off before bedtime but that it is still effective enough to control your need to move around.

As for stopping requip, so long as you are not coming down from a large dose, you may be able to get by stopping cold turkey since the morphine and oxy will cover most of the requip withdrawal symptoms.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.