Meds after dental surgery triggering RLS

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
dallen54

Meds after dental surgery triggering RLS

Post by dallen54 »

I take extended release oxycodone (Xtampza ER 13.5 mg) and it's been working pretty well for my rls. I had extensive dental work done two days ago and one of the meds they prescribed post-surgery is causing severe RLS and I can't figure out which one. It comes on too soon to take another oxy, plus I was afraid to take the oxy only a couple hours after taking Tramadol, so I'm just miserable for most of the night. I have been searching this forum but can't find anything indicating any of these as triggers. I really need to take the antibiotic but can request a different one if that's the trigger. I have read many threads about taking Tramadol for RLS so I wouldn't think that would be the trigger but with RLS anything is possible. I think at this point just to at least dull the pain I'll try ibuprofen and acetaminophen and if it's still bad then I'll know it's the Amoxicillin.

Has anyone had RLS triggered by any of these - Tramadol/APAP 37.5mg/325mg, Toradol 10mg, Amoxicillin 875mg?

Thank you,
Donna
​“One loses many laughs by not laughing at oneself." ~ Mary Engelbreit

ViewsAskew

Re: Meds after dental surgery triggering RLS

Post by ViewsAskew »

Surgery itself can be the trigger, Donna. Many theories, but they don't really know why.

But a quick internet search suggests toradol is associated with increased symptoms!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

dallen54

Re: Meds after dental surgery triggering RLS

Post by dallen54 »

Thank you so much for your insight! I did a lot of internet searches but couldn’t seem to find what I needed. Today I took only the amoxicillin and ibuprofen but was still bothered much if the day. Maybe, as you said, it’s the surgery itself. I had two root canals and five extractions so I imagine that’s quite a jolt to the system. Also, I’m working to bring my ferritin levels up and between the bleeding with the extractions and the multiple nosebleeds I had about a week ago that might make it worse too. I was at a level 19 and had gotten it up to 45 so far. It’s probably dropped back down.

Thanks for your help!
Donna
​“One loses many laughs by not laughing at oneself." ~ Mary Engelbreit