Medications timing suggestions requested

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Yankiwi

Medications timing suggestions requested

Post by Yankiwi »

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Every time I wake up (usually two or three times each night) my legs have fairly severe painful sensations which means I need to stay up for 1.25 or 1.5 hours (or more) before it is "safe" to go back to bed. I am hoping that this can be alleviated by changing the timing of my medications.

Currently I take 1000mg of gabapentin and 120mg codeine.

600mg gabapentin at 8pm, 60mg codeine at 9pm, and go to bed around 10.30.
Then around 11.30 or 12 (when I wake up after an hour of sleep) I take 400mg of gabapentin and at my next "wake up call" around 2.00 or 2.30am I take the next 60mg codeine.

I only recently learned (through trial and error and sleuthing on the internet) that gabapentin has a longer lead in time than the codeine which I had been taking first.
This seems to be working better.

I see my PCP next week and will discuss increasing the gabapentin.

Thanks for your input.

ViewsAskew

Re: Medications timing suggestions requested

Post by ViewsAskew »

I wish I had some suggestions - hopefully someone else will. That is a long time to be awake - I imagine you'd really like to reduce that!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Luckily for me (not for her) my PCP has restless legs. Maybe she can shed some light on dosage and timing.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I'm not sure. I take my gabapentin at 7:00. I take my whole dose. 1800 mg at one time. I used to take 600 three times a day. My pain Doctor started having me take it one time.
I also take buprenorphine. 5 mg at 2:30 pm. I that early to prevent insomnia. I also have a spinal stimulator. It all works together.
I have many nights that RLS does not wake me up. I keep track.
Maybe you need something besides the codeine. I started with methadone, before that it was Darvocet which you can't get anymore. Only certain Doctors in New Mexico who have a special thing can write for narcotics. So I get my buprenorphine from the pain Doctor.

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Thanks Debbie, I appreciate your feedback and will take your suggestions to my doctor on Tuesday.

stockton2malone2

Post by stockton2malone2 »

I would definitely experiment with taking both meds earlier than 9pm. An hour and a half isn't enough time for them to do their job fully. Try 8 for a few nights, then 7, then 6 and keep a quick sleep journal to more easily compare the differences. Also I dont know if that is how it was prescribed to you but it might make sense to take more of the codeine and gapapentin at one time before going to bed as opposed to spaced out in the night, again to give it a chance to fully do it's job and also because it is generally easier to prevent RLS than to stop it after it has started.