Gabapentin Withdrawal

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
SleepLover

Re: Gabapentin Withdrawal

Post by SleepLover »

UPDATE: I've been off the Gabapentin about a month and a half and still no relief from the metallic taste. PCP Doc says it might tame 2-3 months, but might never resolve. Oh Joy! Lyrica is still keeping the RLS at bay, so I thank my stars for that. If I lose a few pounds because all my food and drinks taste foul, so be it. It's still better than suffering from RLS.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It's great to hear that Lyrica is working so well for your rls symptoms. Hopefully the metallic taste will resolve soon.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Lissa496

Post by Lissa496 »

He SleepLover,
I found it can take up to 6 months to 1 year for some gabapentin issues to resolve. I know gabapentin is supposed to help with nerve issues, but it caused nerve sensitivity to me and I am still having odd nerve sensitivity issues in different areas. I stopped taking it back in April. There have been many people who have had odd issues with this medication so give it time.

I would try drinking some electrolytes and see if that helps. My fingernails kept breaking and I had weird white streaks and was told to take electrolytes and within a week of taking a glass a day for one week my nails started to grow out and the whites grew in. Not sure why this helped but it did. You may have an imbalance of something that is causing the taste and the extra electrolytes shouldn't cause any issues. I just went to the baby section of the grocery store and bought the brand that was there. Just a suggestion.

SleepLover

Post by SleepLover »

Thank you for the helpful suggestion. I will give it a try.