Methadone side effects

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
IzzyKoshi

Methadone side effects

Post by IzzyKoshi »

Hi All:
Like many methadone users, I am suffering from nausea and abdominal pain. But, what I am confused by is that these symptoms only occur after about 8-9 hours when I think much less methadone is circulating in my system. Has anyone experienced similar problems? Thank you.

debbluebird

Re: Methadone side effects

Post by debbluebird »

I had nausea for about 2 months and then it went away. I took methadone for about 9 years.
I currently take buprenorphine because NM Doctors won't prescrib methadone. I had the same issue with the buprenorphine, nausea. It didn't last as long but I also started on a smaller amount. Then I increased it. I hope the nausea goes away for you too.
I had started with 10 mg of methadone. If you are taking more than that, you might try to take a little less until your body gets used to it. I guess you have to decide which is worse, the nausea or your RLS.
I now take 1.25 mg of buprenorphine. It comes in film form or tablet. I have the film, so I can cut it. It's about the same amount as 10 mg of methadone.
I also divide my dose in half, 2 pm and 5 pm to prevent insomnia.
I took the methadone, am and pm, also to prevent insomnia. If I took it all in the evening I had insomnia.
I take Zofran 4 mg for nausea, which I seldom have now.
I also had itching, which I also have rarely now. I was able to take benadryl for that. Either med didn't seem to bother my RLS.
I chose to have the nausea and just dealt with it, instead of having RLS.
Good luck