Low Heart Rate from Medication

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Lissa496

Low Heart Rate from Medication

Post by Lissa496 »

Hi everyone!
I am on hydrocodone 3 times a day, 5 mg-325 acetaminophen, and I was holding off two of them until nighttime so I could sleep. I was prescribed 10mg extended release for nighttime just last week so I could take the hydrocode acetaminophen during the day.
The first morning after taking the extended-release, while getting ready for work, I became faint and my heart rate dropped to the low 30s, then it only came up to the high 40s and low 50s. My heart rate stayed this way for the weekend and it felt light there was someone sitting on my chest and I could not breathe.

I went to my primary, as I thought I was having a reaction from two medications. I started a nasal spray at the same time as the extended-release hydro, but the doctor said it was not the nasal spray. I was told it was from the hydrocodone slowing my heart rate. They took an ECG and my heart rate was low 50s. She called my heart doctor and they both said it was the hydros. My heart doctor said I could wear a monitor, but nothing else they could do, it was up to my pain management to prescribe what meds I was on. They wouldn't even say to get off the meds.

I took myself off the nighttime 10mg extended tabs, two nights ago. My heart rate is now in the high 50s. My resting heart rate is usually in the mid-60s. I feel better with it in the high 50s and it doesn't feel like someone is sitting on my chest. I am not struggling to breathe as much either.

How do others deal with low resting heart rates? I had no energy and could not think, all I wanted to do was sleep. I am hoping to get off the hydros and get put back on tramadol which for me gives me energy, but I am on a tramadol holiday as I was at the max allowed and it was not working. My pain management Dr wants me to stay on the hydros, originally he said two months, but last time he said 6 months, I don't think I could stay on this medicine for another 4 months.

Also, I am on 100 mg pregabalin two times a day - which I am trying not to take and 75 mg pregabalin 3 times a day which I do take on top of the above. I do know that pregabalin does give me brain fog and I am sure it slows my heart rate too as it makes me sleepy.

Any suggestions? I also almost fell asleep at the wheel on Friday on the way home from work after taking 1/2 hydro. This stuff is really messing with me. I do have RLS most of the day, I have a break usually from 6 am-noon, then it starts up and doesn't give me a break for the rest of the day and night. When it breaks through from the meds it just hits me, no small creepy crawly it is a strong blast through, waking you up from a sound sleep or from a sitting position, it just hits and you have to start moving. The nice thing about the hydros is it helps within a few minutes.

Oh one more thing, I added 1 pill of white kratom during the day, I saw this on a thread, so I would have the two Hydro's for nighttime. The white kratom gives me a little energy instead of hydro. I only took one yesterday but will be taking one today around noon, which will last until 4 or 5 pm today, if it is the same as yesterday.

Also - is this a very strong dose of the 5 mgs 3X a day of hydros? My doctor said it was extreme for my RLS. After coming off the 300 mgs of tramadol and all the pregabalin I didn't think it was that strong because it only lasts about 3-4 hours before the RLS breaks through.
Thanks, everyone ~ Lissa

Rustsmith

Re: Low Heart Rate from Medication

Post by Rustsmith »

My resting heart rate is naturally in the low 50's or upper 40's and has been that way for years. It is that low because I used to be a competitive runner and my heart became stronger and more efficient, so it has to do less. I had a GP that freaked out when he did a routine EKG and he insisted I had to see a cardiologist and he thought that I would need a pacemaker. The cardiologist's response after doing her own EKG was "you don't need me, you have athlete's heart". The only problem that it has caused is that I often feel light headed if I stand up too quickly. I warned my co-workers that there was nothing wrong if I stood up and then suddenly grabbed onto something to use as a point of reference until it went away.

I take methadone rather than hydrocodone and never saw any further change to my heart rate. I don't know if it is because methadone is so much different than the morphine-derivative meds, like hydrocodone and codeine, or if that was just me.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Lissa496

Re: Low Heart Rate from Medication

Post by Lissa496 »

Hi Steve,
That is interesting, I wish I had a runner's heart! I worry that my heart is pumping too hard, trying to get the blood to my brain and other extremities. I am a tad overweight and have had three ablation surgeries on my heart already so a tad worried.

In today's world, it seems that primary care doctors, and even pulmonologists, don't want to get involved with pain management doctors, which is really sad. I would have thought as my primary care called my pulmonologist, they would have called my pain management doctor and let him know their concerns, but they did not. It is really sad that the medical world just doesn't want to get involved with opioids it seems.

I know the hydrocode keeps me up at night, so that does put a further strain on my life, being tired all day long and not being able to sleep is tough, whether from RLS or the hydrocode and then having brain fog all day long, at work and at home on my days off, doesn't help my life. Just was not sure if this is something others contend with due to the opioids and if they have methods that help them get through the day. I do sit at a desk all day long but have a standing desk and do use it.

Thanks!