Cold turkey

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
shinderlider

Cold turkey

Post by shinderlider »

Has anyone stopped ropinirole cold turkey? I’m on 4mg (I know it’s too much) and am suffering from augmentation. I haven’t slept for more than an hour in over a year but attributed it to recovery from knee surgeries. Now I am convinced otherwise. I know my lack of sleep is affecting my healing from my latest surgery on March 30. I know getting off the ropinirole will be an experience of what hell will be like and am thinking of going cold turkey.

Thought? Experiences?
Sue - Mom to Molly, Juliet, Maude & Jazzy
Georgia, USA

Polar Bear

Re: Cold turkey

Post by Polar Bear »

You should not go cold turkey from 4mg ropinerole. Tapering is a must and should be done with the support of your doctor. Hopefully he would be willing to prescribe a low dose opioid to see you through this. You may be offered gabapentin or pregabalin to help you through but it is unlikely to be sufficient during withdrawal.
Many taper successfully over a few weeks, I tapered over 10 months using pregabalin and cocodamol.
If you take a look at the link in my signature you will find information on augmentation. Also look through the augmentation forum.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

To expand on Polar Bear's warning not to stop cold turkey from 4mg, too dramatic of a drop exposes you to the risk of developing DAWS (Dopamine Agonist Withdrawal Syndrome), which is a long term condition that cannot be treated. DAWS can cause emotional issues such as severe depression, panic attacks, agoraphobia and orthostatic hypotension (a severe drop in blood pressure when standing after sitting or sleeping).
Steve

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

shinderlider

Post by shinderlider »

Thank you so much. Glad I asked the question!
Sue - Mom to Molly, Juliet, Maude & Jazzy
Georgia, USA

Ann S F

Post by Ann S F »

I am currently doing a slow taper off off ropinirole. I augmented on 0.75 mg. After reducing 0.125mg I already notice less daytime symptoms and an overall reduction in the intensity of symptoms so I know it is the right track for me. Unfortunately, I am sleeping less and do wake up 2 hours after goig to bed and am up until 3:30 or 4:00am but am able to sleep for 1-2 hours in the early morning. It is a horrible and frustrating disease and my sympathys to all who suffer from it.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Sleep is such a challenge. Last night I got 4 hours total in two shifts. Some nights I can get 7 hours total in two or three shifts. There is no rhyme or reason. The sure certainty for me is that a shift can last anything from 1 - 3 hours, never a a full night's sleetp.
Horrible and frustrating describes it very well.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation