Requip to Lyrica

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
shinderlider

Requip to Lyrica

Post by shinderlider »

After researching reliable sites and reading the experiences of folks on these boards, I am leaning towards asking my doctor to help me switch from the 4 mg of ropinirole to lyrica.

In regards to the iron issue, I read that the testing should not be done until six months following major surgery (knee replacement revision on March 30) so will be waiting to have that done.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome! Thanks.

Polar Bear

Re: Requip to Lyrica

Post by Polar Bear »

4mg is a very high dose of ropinerole and it is likely that you have augmented. You will need to taper carefully and while coming off ropinerole the symptoms will become more severe. Lyrica will not be sufficient to cover these symptoms and I hope you have a sympathetic doctor who would be willing to prescribe a low dose opioid to help with your withdrawal. Once you are off the ropinerole it is possible that Lyrica would be sufficient but most of us using Lyrica find that we need the support of another medication, usually an opioid. I use Lyrica plus Cocodamol, both at max doses.

Have you had your Ferritin Serum level checked. This is very important and as an rls sufferer it should be up around 100. Don't accept that it is 'normal', get the figure. Normal can be considered OK at 20. Yes, you had surgery recently but if it was me, I'd still want to know my current Ferritin Serum level.

Please look at our Augmentation Forum as it is possible that you may find useful and relevant information.
Even if you don't think you have augmented you are wise to consider coming off the ropinerole. If you haven't already augmented you eventually will do so. I was augmented on a dose of 5mg ropinerole (madness to have been on such a high dose) and had twice tried to come off it over a few weeks which is what many do. I failed both times and eventually took it very slowly and tapered over 10 months. Such a slow taper meant I did not suffer any of the usual withdrawal symptoms. While tapering I transitioned to Cocodamol and Lyrica, gradually increasing these two medications as the ropinerole reduced.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

shinderlider

Post by shinderlider »

I sent my doctor some links to the information on augmentation as well as some links to some of the therapies being used from two reputable sites. She is very receptive to learning and I am confident we’ll have a good discussion and be able to move forward with changing my treatment plan.

It is time for my annual lab work. Since I will be fasting, I will ask her to add the ferritin tests to the list.

I am learning so much from folks experiences on the boards. I decided to become a member so I can access the additional resources. My sample issue of “NightWalkers” arrived today. It is the Fall 2022 issue with a lot of information on the relationship of iron so my weekend reading is planned.
Sue - Mom to Molly, Juliet, Maude & Jazzy
Georgia, USA

Stainless

Post by Stainless »

Although I was severely augmented on 4 mg Requip ER, that maybe permanently damaged my dopamine receptors, beware of the side effects of Lyrica. Over the four years I have been on Pregabalin I have started having high Granulocytes. They are a type of immune cells and they form the white blood cells. You should have none in you blood CBC. Mine are now 0.9 to 1.2 where normal is 0 to 0.6. My haematologist writes if off to Lyrica (Pregabalin) because it shows up as one word (Granulocytes) in his list of side effects. I can find that side effect listed nowhere else.

Also my blood pressure has dropped over the years I have taken Pregabalin. Not sure if that is my general health in decline or associated. It just seems the date I started seems to correlate with when my textbook 120 / 80 BP I had my whole life started dropping. Just keep an eye on your CBC.