OxyContin vs methadone or suboxone

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Valthinking

OxyContin vs methadone or suboxone

Post by Valthinking »

I’m currently on 10mg of OxyContin and 10 mg Oxycodone. (I split two 5mg oxycodone pills, using half to get me through the night when I awaken, and the other half to get me through the afternoon when interdose withdrawal starts.) My symptoms are covered at night this way, and somewhat manageable during the day.

I’ve also weaned myself off of clonazepam. My neurologist put me on clonazepam for rls; over the five months I was on it, it never helped. My CNS got messed up pretty badly from the withdrawal process, and it’s my understanding that I have another year or so until that’s healed. God willing.

I’m wiped out most days. I’m dizzy. My psychiatrist, who I saw for meds when I was withdrawing from clonazepam, said the oxy is making me tired and dizzy. Quality of life is hovering in the low 40% range. Depression has lifted and I want to forge ahead but yikes, I’m just so tired!

I’m reading that some here are using methadone for RLS and gabapentin for sleep. Others are using suboxone and having success. I’m not sure if I should suck it up or try for a different combo. I’m hyper-sensitive to meds, apparently.

-does gabapentin help with sleep? Could I lower my oxy dose via adding some gabapentin
-does methadone make one dizzy and tired?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rustsmith

Re: OxyContin vs methadone or suboxone

Post by Rustsmith »

I heard a presentation by Dr Earley where he stated that the opioids all treat RLS in much the same way and that they primary difference between them is how individuals react to the various side effects. Oxy may make you tired and dizzy and have no effect on the next person. So, he said that you just have to cycle through them until you find one that doesn't have unacceptable side effects.

As for methadone, it has two properties that make it the first choice of many of the RLS experts. First off, it is a once a day med, so you are not going through minor withdrawals every four hours like you do with many of the other opioids. Second, it has some minor influence on the dopamine receptors that the other opioids do not. As for methadone making one dizzy and tired, I can only speak for myself on that one and my answer is no. I only feel issues with methadone when I forget to take my daily dose and begin to go into withdrawal about six hours later.

As for gabapentin (and Lyrica), they are the one type of medication that has sedating properties that work for most of us. Most of the hypnotics that doctors normally use for sleep (Ambien, Lunesta, etc) don't seem to work well with RLS since our sleep problems are caused by a different part of the brain.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Stainless

Re: OxyContin vs methadone or suboxone

Post by Stainless »

Congratulations on getting off clonazepam. That was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and ended back on it because of lack of options in Florida. Doctors say it does not treat RLS but does allow me to sleep. Sounds like you live somewhere where you have options so try everything else but don't expect miracles. If you can find some relief think about combining it with activity like walking, elliptical, etc. Watch your blood tests (CBC) for side effects. Best of luck.