Aromatase Inhibitors/Breast Cancer/RLS

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Margaret122maryL

Aromatase Inhibitors/Breast Cancer/RLS

Post by Margaret122maryL »

I was diagnosed with a minor case of breast cancer four years ago. It was DCIS, stage 0, not serious. I had lumpectomy, no need for radiation or chemo. All I needed was an aromatase inhibitor for 5 years. I asked if the drug would influence my restless legs, which were under almost good control with Mirapex. Oncologist said there was no literature on that. My RLS got significantly worse but I did not make the connection. (Aromatase Inhibitors also caause brain fog) You can read my other posts and see how distraught I was about the RLS. Last September, a study was published in a Sleep Journal. Yup…RLS gets worse on aromatase inhibitors. I am so relieved. I have taken two drug holidays from those awful hormones. Slept great and even noticed myself forgetting to take Tramadol at 5 PM. I was able to reduce my Lyrica and Xanax, the grey cloud which follows me around dissipated. I am now back on the aromatase inhibitor with only 13 months to go before I hit the 5-year mark and can be back to myself. I am so very hopeful that I will then be able to cut back on the RLS drugs. Not cut them out, just cut them back. Anyone suffering through aromatase inhibitors and RLS needs to know the connection. If I had known, I might have chosen to take the risk rather than the pill. Now, with the end in sight, I will continue.