Emory not taking new pts?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
James7

Emory not taking new pts?

Post by James7 »

I am just seeing that Emory in Atlanta is not taking new patients. I see Dr. Rye once a year. I know Dr. Rye has been researching overseas and was cutting his clinic hours as a result. Does anyone have info about this? I am not in Georgia. He prescribes in my state and I'm worried about what's next.

Rustsmith

Re: Emory not taking new pts?

Post by Rustsmith »

My only suggestion would be to call the Foundation and see what they know. Their phone number is 512-366-9109

This wouldn't be the first time that one of the RLS experts decided to limit access. Dr Early at Hopkins only see patients who live in Maryland.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

TarHeel friend

Post by TarHeel friend »

My friend who has been seeing Dr Rye for at least a year just received a note in her patient portal about this. She called and asked to get in with another one of their providers but was told they are overloaded and won’t take “new” patients. How are current patients in a practice suddenly “new”???

James7, what are you planning to do?

I’ve left a message at the RLS Foundation regarding other doctors but if anyone has a suggestion for NC, SC, or northern GA, I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

James7

Post by James7 »

I'm not sure. Thanks for the info.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

How frustrating! I moved from one US state to another JUST so I could be by a good doctor. When he retires, quits, or reduces his practice, it will be terrifying.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

EdSoFlo

Post by EdSoFlo »

The situation there is far beyond not taking new patients (and, as best I can tell, they are.) I'm still seeking clarification (which has NOT been easy) and I intend to make a comprehensive post about what's recently been going on at Emory Sleep Center. As a 5+ year patient being treated for severe refractory RLS and who, prior to this experience, has never received anything less that exemplary care and service, I've found the entire thing utterly bewildering and distressing. Indeed, their being so top-notch a specialty medicine facility has made the current situation--which is incomprehensible, illogical, diametrically contrary to what I was originally told firsthand, and comes up short re: proper concern for the health and wellbeing of many long-term patients, patients being treated for serious medical disorders--all the more difficult to understand. I'd like to be far more specific in my description of the scenario, and as mentioned intend to. But in fairness I want to exhaust all available channels there in my search for explanation/understanding prior to. Again, this is a very odd and unprecedented, at least for me, experience in healthcare. And again, I cannot emphasize enough how totally out of character it's been for what in my experience has been an excellent, indeed life changing, healthcare provider for my severe RLS. So much so that its presence here was a large contributory factor in my decision to relocate to Atlanta.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Ed, please call the RLS Foundation at 512-366-9109 and ask to speak with Karla. Please tell her your story. She might be able to get some additional answers for you since she probably has direct phone contacts with several of the doctors rather than having to go through the normal patient contact protocols. If she cannot get an answer for you, then she needs to know about the problem so that they can be removed from the Quality Care Center listing.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext

EdSoFlo

Post by EdSoFlo »

Rustsmith wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:47 pm
Ed, please call the RLS Foundation at 512-366-9109 and ask to speak with Karla. Please tell her your story. She might be able to get some additional answers for you since she probably has direct phone contacts with several of the doctors rather than having to go through the normal patient contact protocols. If she cannot get an answer for you, then she needs to know about the problem so that they can be removed from the Quality Care Center listing.
Thanks so much, that's a great idea, and I'll do so ASAP. I'm so appreciative that we have this community and organization as a resource! Having this condition can really be lonely at times...because if you don't know, you really DON'T KNOW. And so very few actually do (luckily for them!)

Thanks again and cheers!