Long-range Refractory RLS post medication adjustment

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
tea4one

Long-range Refractory RLS post medication adjustment

Post by tea4one »

Been on my original therapeutic dose of 10mg methadone for two weeks after lowering methadone and increasing gabapentin to assess tolerability. I continue to experience daytime symptoms. They aren’t as intense as the prior weeks, but they remain.

Why does efficacy of the previous therapeutic dose take so long to manifest? Why weeks and not days?

RLS is such a strange condition.

Thanks 🙏

JZ

Rustsmith

Re: Long-range Refractory RLS post medication adjustment

Post by Rustsmith »

The half life of methadone is very long compared to many other meds (several days for some). Therefore, it can take you a while for the methadone to work its way out of you system when doing a "small" decrease from 10mg to 5mg. Even if you were to completely stop, it takes a while for it to completely clear out of your system.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

tea4one

Post by tea4one »

Thank you for the reply. I can understand why someone may have symptoms when reducing their med, but why would someone continue to have symptoms over two weeks after going back to their usual dose and going up on gabapentin? It seems I’m just about through the worst of it, but weeks? Man, this condition is awful.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

Half life works both ways, but up and down. That is why your doctor probably didn't originally start you off on the "final" dose of methadone. They want you to become "stable" at the small dose before getting to the target dose. If it is taking you this long, you are probably one of the people on the tail end of the curve who has a very long half life when it comes to methadone.

But, the good news is that you seem to getting back to a stable treatment level with decent control of you symptoms.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

tea4one

Post by tea4one »

Hi Rustsmith,

It took over 6wks to get back to baseline after going back up to the original dose. I continue to have sx in the late mornings when attempting to get back to sleep, but nothing like I experienced during the previous weeks.

Thanks,

J