Buprenorphine, the good, bad and ugly

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Oozz

Re: Buprenorphine, the good, bad and ugly

Post by Oozz »

debbluebird wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:10 pm
I have a new pain Doctor. I've had her less than a year. She never asked me about my history. She just took over from the previous doctor I had started with since moving to Albuquerque. The first injection she did was in the right spot, last summer.
I had sent her a note that my RLS had returned and I'd been RLS free for 6 months. She won't put the steroid injections in the right spot. Said I was bone on bone and with my hardware, she refused. I think she was afraid. She put it in a different spot and it didn't help at all. She asked me if I'd try a DA. I told her my history. I told her no DA. So when I see her next time I wonder what she will suggest. In that office I see the PA who writes for the pain meds. That frees up the Doctors to do the procedures.
What drugs are they injecting into you that relieve RLS? What’s the mechanism of action? My understanding is that steroids make RLS worse.

Oozz

Post by Oozz »

Buprenoprhine can cause insomnia. If that happens try taking it earlier in the day. And, give it 2-4 weeks to wear off.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Oozz wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:12 am
debbluebird wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:10 pm
I have a new pain Doctor. I've had her less than a year. She never asked me about my history. She just took over from the previous doctor I had started with since moving to Albuquerque. The first injection she did was in the right spot, last summer.
I had sent her a note that my RLS had returned and I'd been RLS free for 6 months. She won't put the steroid injections in the right spot. Said I was bone on bone and with my hardware, she refused. I think she was afraid. She put it in a different spot and it didn't help at all. She asked me if I'd try a DA. I told her my history. I told her no DA. So when I see her next time I wonder what she will suggest. In that office I see the PA who writes for the pain meds. That frees up the Doctors to do the procedures.
What drugs are they injecting into you that relieve RLS? What’s the mechanism of action? My understanding is that steroids make RLS worse.
It was a steroid, but it calmed the nerves in my back and reduced inflammation. It helped me. My RLS was gone for 6 months.

Tim63

Post by Tim63 »

Hi …. A few days ago there was a virtual RLS research summit that I attended. I was very happy to see so much is being looked into for RLS. Buprenorphine seems to have incredible potential. I believe they said it was an opioid that is for moderate to severe RLS and can be prescribed much easier because it doesn’t get the user inebriated or high. This is probably the best news possible for RLS sufferers if it works and has minimal side effects. Now I do love my teeth but not as much as I love sleep. I really hope this drug works out. I am a bit confused however… does anyone know if you are just as dependent on it as a normal opioid?… I am wondering if and when I get a chance to use this if I will suffer withdrawal from my current opioid or if it’s exactly the same just without the high.

Tim63

Post by Tim63 »

Hey Deb….. that’s good to know. The RLS research summit was amazing. The opioid seems to be a big cure for most RLS sufferers but there is serious stigma attached to opioids and doctors are more then hesitant to prescribe them. But since you don’t get high from Buprenorphine there is no illegal street drug value for them. So if it works like the research seems to indicate then it could be the holy grail for RLS sufferers in general. I don’t know much more than what the researchers claim and from what I understand it’s for more severe cases. But that’s a good thing. This way a doctor will be more willing to take a chance rather than having to worry that the patient will become addicted or worse sell the drug. If the research is correct that 5 to 10 percent of the general population has RLS this might be a God send.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

TIm, the numbers generally reported for RLS range from 5 to 15 percent of the population. The reason for such a wide range is that RLS occurs more frequently in those of northern European ancestry and "rarely" in Africa, so there is a question of what "population" you are referencing against.

There has also been an issue with reporting of the occurrence of RLS. Some doctors don't believe the disease exists, so they don't report it. There are also questions about how to classify mild cases and exactly how many of these cases don't get diagnosed because the person doesn't bring it up with their doctor. The one thing that I have seen consistently reported is that the most severe cases only represent about 1% of RLS. According to US government criteria, that makes severe RLS a "rare" condition.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.