Spine surgery

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Mountain Woman

Spine surgery

Post by Mountain Woman »

Hi everyone, I feel bad that I only write when I have problems, but.., I have had a couple of back fusions, now its time for another back surgery. The last fusion didn't take very well and towards thoracic the spinal canal is really pinched off. My question is can this restriction be causing the RLS to act up again? I am taking additional hydrocodone and gabapentin which usually helps the RLS. I had a pamphlet on what to give for surgical anesthetic and other suggestions for surgery, but I cant find it. Anyone have a suggestion as to where I can find it again?

Polar Bear

Re: Spine surgery

Post by Polar Bear »

I have restriction in the lumbar area caused by a narrowing of the spinal canal and thus compression on the exiting nerves. This causes me pain through the hip and into the thigh, it's always there but at times can be very severe and becomes non weight bearing. I have the same issue in the cervical area.

My Movement Disorder Consultant (for my RLS) believes that the compression of these nerves and the general narrowing of my spinal column, together with osteoprosis in the spine, will aggravate, if not cause, RLS. I have had back pain since my 30s, I've also had RLS since my 30s. No connection was ever previously made.
That's a rather long winded response to your question ...... my Movement Disorder Doctor would say Yes, there is a connection.

Following an MRI on my lumbar 2 years ago i was told that neither surgery or a steroid injection would be of benefit for my pain and so was referrred to the Pain Clinic. Following a 2.5 year wait I now have an appointment with the Pain Clinic mid May and have no idea what to hope for regarding my back/hip/thigh pain. My MD/RLS doctor has put herself on hold to see if the Pain Doctor will find any easement for me and thus reduce my RLS.

I am sorry that your last fusion did not work well and hope things go better for you.

There is a pamphlet available on the RLS Foundation web site rls.org but I think you have to be a paid up member to access these. The pamphlet is called Surgery & RLS: Patient Guide and is listed in the Publications section.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

As Polar Bear has said, there are pamphlets in the Members Only section of the Foundation's website. There are at least two of these that deal specifically with surgical procedures and one of them addresses issues with anesthesia and the drugs that the anesthesiologist needs to avoid. I have provided a copy of the pamphlet to my anesthesiologist when he came by immediately before my last three surgeries. In each case, the anesthesiologist quickly read through the pamphlet and assured me that there would not be a problem with the meds that he would be giving me. But each one of them thanked me and asked to keep the pamphlet for future reference.

Membership in the Foundation does not cost very much, but if the membership fee is too much for your budget, contact the Foundation and explain your situation. They have "scholarships" that they can provide for individuals who have a need but not the income to be able to join on their own accord.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Absolutely it can cause RLS. That's what causes mine.