Opioid Constipation

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Brynmr

Opioid Constipation

Post by Brynmr »

Not a fun topic but rather than derailing further Bearpaws' thread with an off-topic query, I thought I'd start my own.

Opioid constipation is a thing and I'm dealing with it now. I'm taking 20mg oxycodone daily and having trouble moving. The laxatives I'm taking, Miralax and dulcalax, don't do much so every 3 or 5 days I reach for Fleet. That works fine. But it's not ideal healthy-wise I imagine. Any advice? My Oncologist says to drink more water.

ViewsAskew

Re: Opioid Constipation

Post by ViewsAskew »

Water definitely helps. Fiber in the diet also very much helps. Magnesium can help some people (really does me, but only one variety, which is odd). Exercise can help. I am sensitive to several foods that cause diarrhea when I am not taking opioids, but make things just right when I am taking opioids - that is beets and dairy.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Lissa496

Post by Lissa496 »

I would suggest taking magnesium citrate starting with 250 mgs. I took it every other day, until it stopped working, then every day, and I upped the dosage to 500 mgs when I noticed it was not working as well, which was the recommended dosage. I am not sure if you can raise the dosage from 500 mgs but it seems to work well at this dose so I have not changed it. I have been taking this for about 2 years and it seems to do the trick.

This is the active ingredient in milk of magnesium!

Brynmr

Post by Brynmr »

Thank you Lissa. I will look into it. All these treatments are supposed to be short term but we have a long term issue.
:|

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oddly, magnesium citrate doesn't work for me when I buy it alone. But, there is a triple magnesium product (by Swanson in the US) that always works immediately for me. And doesn't work at all for my husband. Go figure.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.