nausea with requipt

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
shannon0731

nausea with requipt

Post by shannon0731 »

I started requipt in May i lowly built up to 4mg at night. But, the last few weeks, the nausea has been unbearable. No matter what or how much i eat, it is bad. And it is even lasting through the night into mid morning. I am a diabetic, so my meals have to be carefully planned. any suggestions, thoughts, etc? I am seriously thinking of giving up , the nausea is so great.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Shannon, don't give up. I had nausea with my requip at first but found if I take it about 30 min before or after eating it is not as bad, and I avoid tomato/acidic based meals.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Shannon, I know we are all different and need different doses of drugs, but that is a lot of Requip to take for RLS, especially at one time. I think the average amount of Requip is 1-2 mg. The average of Mirapex is more like .5 to.75 mg. So I am wondering how your dose got so high. Especially as worsening symptoms can be a sign of augmentation.

Are you increasing it because it has stopped working? What dose originally worked well? Did it ever work well? Do you take it at least an hour or more before symptoms start? I've seen other people post that they take their doses several times a day, instead of all at once.

Seems to me that most people have better luck with a 'cocktail' of medications, but lower amounts of each. For example, if you have pain, you could take Requip and Ultram. People often use gabapentin, Ultram, and/or a benzodiazepine with Requip or Mirapex.

Lastly, you can try switching to Mirapex for a couple of weeks. When the dopamine agonists lose their effectiveness, it helps many people to take a 'holiday' from them. Often you can keep your doses much lower that way.

Ann

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

I couldn't take Mirapex because the following morning, till lunchtime, I felt like I was going to puke.

Klonapin (sp?) helped out very well for awhile, but stopped working for me.

Now my neurologist prescribed Requip, so last night was only my second time taking it, but so far it's not been very successful. The feeling that I have to puke isn't as bad as Mirapex. My Dr. told me that 40 percent of patients taking Requip complain of nasuea, but only 1.6 percent actually stop taking it because of that, so the nasuea isn't that bad. (according to him).
He also says it's the first drug approved by the FDA specifically for RLS.
Big deal, I don't care if your dog approves it, I need something that works.

Last night, I slept about 3 hrs, then started waking up every half hour. I don't know if it's the Requip or not. I guess I'll keep taking it, but it doesn't look too hopeful after only the first two doses. Also, this morning it felt like my arms and legs were racing...like the blood was shooting through them.

Randy

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

For anyone that experiences nausea when taking a DA, I've heard of people doing several things that they say helped them. Most people also say that the nausea disappears within 2 weeks.

-Take your dose with food.

-Take very small doses to start. For example, if you are new to DAs, take only .125 of Mirapex and .25 of Requip at first. More than that will cause more problems in the beginning. My first night on Mirapex was horrible as the doctor told me to start with .25. I came online and read that another doctor recommended no more than .125, so I cut it back the next night. It made a tremendous difference and I could then tolerate it.

-Split your dose into two smaller doses a couple of hours apart.

Obviously, these are all things you should discuss with your doctor.

Ann

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Ok Ann...but...first of all.
I do take it with food. I drink a glass of milk and usually have something solid to eat.
Also...the Neuro gave me a beginning packet type of thing. It starts you out with 0.25 mg for two days, then 0.5 mg for 5 days, working up to 1 mg.

So I wasn't going to continue taking it, but after reading a few of these messages I'll try it for a while longer I guess. I hate feeling sick. And it seems that when you take medicine that makes you feel weird...puky or dizzy...it does get better after awhile but never really goes away.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Walking, I got that same packet! To me, the problem is that doctors don't always know best about this because it's new to them, too. I posted average doses of DAs that worked in several studies. It is in the Welcome All Newcomers sticky in the New to RLS? section of the board. Can't remember the details, but I think the average dose of these is sometimes lower than what some docs shoot for. There's also some other good information about DA's in general in that sticky.

http://www.restlesslegs.org/phpBB2/view ... =8572#8572

.25 is the right amount to start with Requip, so your doc is right on track. If it is doing any good that's where I would differ with the doctor. No reason to increase it if it's stopping the RLS, in my opinion. If it is not stopping it but is helping, maybe stay at the .25 for a little longer anyway and see if you work out the nausea. Our brains have a difficult time adjusting to the changes in neurotransmitters when we take these drugs.

I certainly don't want you to be sick! I do agree that having nausea is one of my least favorite ways to feel and would do most anything not to feel it. You have to decide how long is enough. A coupld of nights of it is probably worth it. A couple of weeks wouldn't be for me unless someone can promise it ends. I can't promise that! What I wrote was just what I have heard other people say :-(.

It can be very hard to manage and get the right type and right amount of the drugs that work. I hope you feel better soon. In case the Requip doesn't work, you still may have a DA option. The side effects of Requip and Mirapex are quite different, so many people can take one if they can't take the other. I say may, because about 20% of people cannot take any of the DAs because of side effects or that they don't work. That means 80% are helped and are not bothered by many side effects if any.

Ann

ANGELGIRL

Requip- I guess I'm in the same boat.

Post by ANGELGIRL »

Hi Angelgirl here- (Lori)

I started to post Wed. but fell asleep in the middle of post- You know gasping the trackball drool running down the face.

I too just started Requip- after Mirapex didn't help.

I was doing good on the Requip on day 9 of the 14 day started Pack.
I'm up to 1 mg now last night sick to stomach going to bed ate a little something felt a little better. I never fell asleep last night was up all night.
Although I wasn't twitching nearly as much. I'm sure it's just amatter of getting use to the change in meds and finally hitting the top dosage of 1 mg.

I did nap a bit today 2 hours well it's 11 pm and I'm wide awake. I hope I sleep tonight at least a couple of hours.

What's the best time to take the Reqip- how long before you go to bed??

Anyone have any experience taking the Requip what works best.

It seems since Requip was approved for RLS doctors have been more aware of the condition.

Probally because the drug Reps are giving the samples ot those 14 day starter kits and are pushing the drug.

Hope everyone has I nice Holiday.

Lori (Angelgirl)
:D :shock:
POODLES RULE

Post by Guest »

I take .5 mg of Requip three hours before bedtime every night. I couldn't go higher in dosage because it made me so sick to my stomach. The .5mg is working great for me and I am getting rest now.

Donna

jrowley

Post by jrowley »

My doctor just put me on requip and she told me to take .25mg and if that didnt work to go up to .5 then to .75 then to 1.0 and if it is still not working then to call her. She also said that you can go up to 9.0mg on the requip and no more so the 4.0mg is not that unusual. However nausea is one of the side effects so if it was me I would call my doctor as it is also said not to stop requip cold turkey could cause serious problems. The common side effects of requip:

Common side effects:
Blood Pressure Drop Upon Standing Severe
Infection caused by a Virus Severe
Drowsiness Severe
Hallucination Severe
Feeling Faint Severe
Dizzy Severe
Voluntary Movement Difficulty Severe
Feel Like Throwing Up Severe
Feeling Weak Severe
Falling Severe
Confused Severe

Rachael

Re: Requip- I guess I'm in the same boat.

Post by Rachael »

ANGELGIRL wrote:Hi Angelgirl here- (Lori)

I started to post Wed. but fell asleep in the middle of post- You know gasping the trackball drool running down the face.

I too just started Requip- after Mirapex didn't help.

I was doing good on the Requip on day 9 of the 14 day started Pack.
I'm up to 1 mg now last night sick to stomach going to bed ate a little something felt a little better. I never fell asleep last night was up all night.
Although I wasn't twitching nearly as much. I'm sure it's just amatter of getting use to the change in meds and finally hitting the top dosage of 1 mg.

I did nap a bit today 2 hours well it's 11 pm and I'm wide awake. I hope I sleep tonight at least a couple of hours.

What's the best time to take the Reqip- how long before you go to bed??

Anyone have any experience taking the Requip what works best.

It seems since Requip was approved for RLS doctors have been more aware of the condition.

Probally because the drug Reps are giving the samples ot those 14 day starter kits and are pushing the drug.

Hope everyone has I nice Holiday.

Lori (Angelgirl)
:D :shock:

I tried taking requip around 9 or 10, but found it didn't help me fall asleep at all. Now I try and take it around 7 or 8, and by 10 it seems to start kicking in. My problem now is that I wake up (like clockwork!) between 4 and 6, tossing and turning and never seem to be able to sleep until my alarm clock goes off.

Rachael

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I have started back on Requip for the second time. Last night was my second night and I too have the new sample pack where you gradually work up. Last time I took it, by the time I was up to 1 mg I was sick at my stomach 24/7 so I stopped taking it (couldn't stand the nausea). This time I am going to try to stay at about .5 mg and see if this works for me. I don't know how, but I have been missing this thread and didn't see it until now. I was desparately needing some feedback on Requip and the side effects. My Dr is not much help and that only compounds the problem.

My hugs and love go out to anyone that has RLS!!!!! It HURTS!!!!!

ANGELGIRL

Post by ANGELGIRL »

Angelgirl here-Lori

I too only sleep x amount of hours and that's it- at least it's in one block. Instead of waking up constantly.
I don't know why but if I get 4 hours it's alot. I also have fibro too- so maybe that has something to do with it. I don't have any REM sleep either.

I take Provigil to keep me awake- however that doesn't always work. I'm at the maximum dose of 200 mg in am and 200 at 12:00 noon.

Some days I have to call my husband to come and drive me home from work. I have a bad time driving because I fall asleep driving.

Does anyone else take Provigil to keep you awake from RLS?

Angelgirl
Lori
POODLES RULE

mafs

nausea with Requip

Post by mafs »

:) I worked up to 1mg at night on Requip but spent most of the night with my head in the toilet.

I now take 1mg Cabaser in the morning, 30 minutes after taking a maxalon. Works great. Good luck.

Gayl

HLL

Requip

Post by HLL »

I have had RLS for more then 20 years. For many years as a young 20 year old Dr's didnt know what the heck to do with me as a 20 year old couldnt possibly have RLS; thats an old person disorder..... I have since become very educated on my body, what it needs and there is one thing certain about RLS it will always be a challenge. For many years Neurontin and Trazadone worked; with weight gain THANK YOU VERY MUCH but at least it woked. Then as I had to keep increasing my dose I had to start taking Requip with a lower dose of Neurontin. I am still struggling with what I need at this point but from what I have read and been told by my Neurologits and Allergist is that Requip is a drug you NEED to take on slowly and if you go off of it you need to reverse the dosage until you tapper off. You cant just quit. 4 Mgs is the max that the FDA has approved for RLS the std dose it 1-2 Mgs but you should start at .25 and slowly increase until you get to the desired dose. This will help the nausea situation. This medication only stays in your system from 4-5 hours so if you wake after that wondering why it could be that you need to either take another pill or take it like I do with another medication that stays in your system longer to help offet the Requip. I also sit in my hot tub at 104@ right before bedtime to help settle my legs, it seems to help. Its all a crap shoot one way or another. My Neurologist also has RLS and we both are pretty much helping eachother because not enough is know about this disorder and people who have never experienced it dont have a clue. When I was pregnate I wanted to kill myself - literally becasue they didnt know what was wrong and going without sleep for weeks on end can make you a little nuts. So all we can do is help educate eachother. Thank God for the Web so that people who have RLS can help eachother. My 21 year old daughter is starting to have symptoms now and my sister is also starting (shes lucky it is starting later in her life then in her 20's) but still, I think there maybe somehting to genetics as well, maybe in 10 more years we will help educate the medical field so that another generation has more hope then we have had.....Hang in there